• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 420D Coolant Leak

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
As I was moving snow a couple of days ago, I noticed red stains appearing under the front of the machine (as I was backing up). Although the water temperature gauge continues to indicate a normal reading, I also started to notice a bit of a steam-like odor. After parking the machine, I lifted the hood and immediately noticed liquid spatters on top of the top radiator hose and a red liquid on the front of the (yellow) engine. After the engine cooled down, I put (2) gallons of red coolant into the radiator -- without filling it up. Obviously, the machine is leaking red coolant from somewhere?

We're going through a Siberian cold air front here, at the moment, so I haven't been able to take anything apart in an effort to localize the leak. I have performed a visual inspection, though, and the hoses look good. The machine is a 2002 model (just under 3,000 operating hours) with a serial number ending in FDP 08XXX. At this point, I'm simply looking for thoughts on where I might start troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks very much you for your time... :usa

P.S. Any thoughts on a good source for a service manual would be much appreciated, as well.