• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416C Dead Electrical

pottsy

I was just using the machine, stopped to shut a garage door with the unit running, turned around and it died. Electrical failure of some description. Batteries are fine, I tried moving relays around in case one went bad out of the blue.. checked for loose wires etc. at the key switch... nothing. Only the small switch lights for the various controls light up, no headlights, no starter, nothing.
Any ideas? It is a miserable bit of winter weather to be trying to find a loose ground or something. It's so odd since it was running one minute, dead the next.

Thanks.

pottsy

clean the frame ground. The bolt in front of the battery box where the main ground cable bolts to the frame.

Think it could have suddenly lost contact perhaps? I will check that out. I recall now somebody once mentioned that as a trouble spot.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I don't know the 416C, but many many Cat's use a master circuit breaker. It may have one and somethings tripped it. Aside from that, get out the test light and start checking power and ground starting from the battery.

pottsy

Ok, pulled out the bolt, cleaned the threads, wire brushed the area, put a new washer and screwed it back in. No dice. If I have the lights switched on the interior lights go on and off as the bolt is out back in but nothing else. I wonder if some other contact is bad. It is acting like it does when I pull the 6 relays from the steering column area for theft protection. All fuses appear ok. Son of a gun this is bad timing.

pottsy

Well son of a gun!

Turns out I am not the first owner to put in a hidden kill switch. After all this time I must have bumped it when getting my stuff out to put in my garage.

I guess I secretly felt like tearing the wiring apart. :Banghead

macon01

We have a 416 cit that was doing this. Sometimes a fuse would blow in the steering column and a couple times it wouldn't and just be dead anyway. Found a loose connection under the fuse block to be the problem. Hope this helps

Iceflyer

Occupation
Helicopter pilot
Turns out I am not the first owner to put in a hidden kill switch. After all this time I must have bumped it when getting my stuff out to put in my garage.

I guess I secretly felt like tearing the wiring apart. :Banghead

:tong Good it wasn´t too complicated. So everything works fine now?

pottsy

I know, resurrecting a dead thread but I felt I was leaving some folks in the lurch.

Yes, all was good to go again back then.

I have since killed the tranny... But that is another story.