• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 416B repower?

Dirtyjoe

Thanks for accepting me to the forum! I have a cat 416b with a blown motor. Can't afford a used Perkins 3054, what do you guys think about droping a ford 302 in that bad boy, got a e-stick, like so just a torque converter, can make a conversion plate.." but what about the hydro pump off the front dampener? Not a SAE bell housing,any thing convert to this.. Thanks

xcmark

Occupation
construction
The correct motor is your best bet , resale and BS trying to rig some gas motor that doesnt have as much power and the same RPM range just is not a good idea. Sorry

Curbster

Occupation
Prime Digger on Dog Hill
I can't help but agree with xcmark on this one, as I don't think you'd ever iron out all the bugs. A gas-pot won't have the grunt that a diesel has anyway. If you really put some time into searches on line and feasibility of rebuilding original motor it would probably be a better route to take. Maybe a different cat diesel motor would cross-fit? I can't imagine my 426 with a gas-pot! :confused:

Lee-online

A 302 is a much wider and longer engine. Just not worth it.

whats wrong with your engine? 3054 are used in many machines and pieces of equipment. You may get lucky and find a used one.

Dirtyjoe

Thank you for all the replys. Org motor piston came apart hole in the cyl wall. It's mushroomed the liner in the cyl so I'm having trouble getting that out,head needs guides,valves,springs,surfaced,rockers need ground. And on top of all that it's been out side in the weather for 2 years. Lots people want to buy it and scrap it,but I don't wan't to do that,do I?

Dirtyjoe

Well i gess i better get the freeze plugs and oil gally plugs out,grt it boiled and magnafluxed. What's a good outfit for a rebuild kit?

Lee-online

Before you go too far, maybe you should go to your local Cat dealer and get some prices on parts. I don't know if you can get the parts directly from Perkins or any other outfit but you may have to spend more than you were thinking of.