• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 345 BL Boom Dropping

daterplant

Occupation
earthmoving repair business owner
I went out to a job on a 345 excavator, complaint is boom dropping.
When operating the machine, boom will lift ok then sometimes as it is being lifted it will drop to the ground very fast while control is still in lift position.
When using the controls very slow it it worked for a short while, boom did not drop. As soon as I tried normal speed boom would drop.
After I released the pressure in the hyd. tank and checked the oil level (no oil added) every thing worked ok for rest of the day. the problem is intermittant some days ok.
Any help would be good:)

Per Eriksson

Does it have Boom lowering control valves on the boom cylinders?
Smartboom?

I'd suggest putting a gauge on the boom down pilot line in order to see if it a pilot system fault or not.

Last edited:

daterplant

Occupation
There are no boom lowering valves on the cylinders.

When I get back to the machine in a couple of days I'll put some gauges on the pilot lines and see what is happening.

Thanks I'll let you know the results.

Per Eriksson

You can switch places on the boom up line relief valve and some other, they are all the same.
Maybe pull the boom1 and boom2 stems and check that they look good.

daterplant

Occupation
Thanks I'll give that a try as well, when I go back to the machine.

rockmuncher

Yeah I dare say the it would be the relief valve.
Our 330Bl was recently doing the same thing so I swapped the lift relief and the lower relief.

Shane

daterplant

Occupation
The customer won't let me stop the 345 for testing at the moment, to busy.
However, with the 330BL was the problem there all the time or just first start up from cold, which it seems to be with this one.

JBSSU

345B's were known for having boom & stick dropping problems with cold oil due to faulty line relief valves. I would try replacing the boom head end relief valve. It is on the top of the boom 1 control valve right next to the drift reduction valve.

daterplant

Occupation
At last i've got the machine to work on.
Due to excessive leaks around the control valve, we removed the entire valve,
and have just stripped it down, first thing we found was a damaged swing priority valve, and missing seals on the regeneration valve.
A lot of the seals are hard through heat.
Tomorrow we will inspect all the relief and check valves.
Thanks I will keep you up to date.

steed6557

At last i've got the machine to work on.
Due to excessive leaks around the control valve, we removed the entire valve,
and have just stripped it down, first thing we found was a damaged swing priority valve, and missing seals on the regeneration valve.
A lot of the seals are hard through heat.
Tomorrow we will inspect all the relief and check valves.
Thanks I will keep you up to date.

I have two 345bl doing the same, one regen valve was missing all of the o rings, machine had no fine control in any joystick so replaced them on advice from cat dealer. Worked ok for a day now no fine control in boom, thoughts?

steed6557

Yes, there is no fine control in the boom at all. Boom is very jerky and the circuit is only actuated at the very end of the control handle straight up or straight down. Thanks.

Per Eriksson

Check if the boom spool moves smoothly in the valvebody first.
Then put a gauge on the pilotline from the joystick to the controlvalve and check if the pressure follows the joystick movement.

daterplant

Occupation
Update on 345.
Problem was found be a valve in the main control bank, which had stripped the threads. allowing the valve to stick in one position, this was only found when we stripped the entire valve down. part number of the valve is 122-7690, it comes as a complete assembly. thanks for all help.

steed6557

Main control valve was removed and overhauled, drift valve barrel was stuck in main control valve body and a spool had a loose bolt. Apart from this the valve was ok. Fitted valve back onto machine and operated, problem still present, that is that there is no fine control in boom up or down. Will measure pilot pressure in pilot valve when mode is operated tomorrow.

Lee-online

Yes, there is no fine control in the boom at all. Boom is very jerky and the circuit is only actuated at the very end of the control handle straight up or straight down. Thanks.

Sounds like boom 1 spool isnt moving. Does this machine have an aux circuit that has the pilot lines tied into the boom pilot lines with a shuttle? If so cap off those line and see if it changes.

Gauges on the boom pilot lines will show you if the pilot side is working smooth and the main pressures will show how the pumps are responding.

steed6557

Put pressure gauge on pilot line for boom 1 and boom 2 at MCV and recorded no pressure when joystick was moved until joystick was almost at the end of its travel then boom jerked up and gauge read about 300 psi on both tests. Put gauge on stick 1 and gauge recorded all movement of the joystick so gauge is good. Tomorrow I plan to swap pilot lines at MCV with another function to see if problem moves or is eliminated. Thanks.

Lee-online

If this machine has the pattern changer, flip it to see if the problem swap or stays with the joy stick.
B models were just starting to come with the changer so it may not have one.