• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3406E Tired and Needs Replacement

rshackleford

I have a 1995 Pete transport with a Cat 3406E 5EK. It is tired. We either need to rebuilt or replace it.

I can have a rebuild done between $12-$20k which includes the rear main work that needs done. I have found several places that can sell me a rebuilt engine in that same price range and my mechanic can put it in. I think the seal replacement makes the complete rebuilt swap a little more palatable.

Does anyone have experience with:

North American Diesel Industreis--Turlock, CA
National Diesel--Tampa, FL
Mid America Diesel--Holly, MI
Great Lakes Diesel Engines, Lackawanna, NY

Or does anyone have another suggestion for me?

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
What is your truck worth to you ? ........if its just a casually used truck once a week or month, then maybe look at a good used one out of a wrecking yard ...... but if its a rig that you need (prime income) then don't fool around and get an exchange rebuild with a year or 2 warranty from Cat directly as you say, for about the same coin.

Its a crap shoot especially when you see trucks of that vintage in great shape for the same money as it takes to rebuild.

Good-Luck ! ...... let us know what you do ......

rshackleford

it gets used a lot. it isn't a money maker but it gets the excavators to the job site--so it is pretty important.

i wasn't going to get a cat rebuild i was going to use one of these other shops.

jrtraderny

The guys @ Great Lakes Diesel are top notch from what I hear, never had anything done there though..............
jr

Lee-online

Give your local Cat dealer a call. Sometimes they have good deals on slow moving engines. There is also the option of getting a long block and having your mech swap over the accessories and stuff. Just find out how complete the long block is, some are very basic while others are almost a complete engine.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
stay away from great lakes diesel! NOT a reputable shop.

chevota84

I personally know of 2 guys that got stroked by great lakes and have heard of alot more.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rshackleford

I think we are leaning towards having the Cat dealer overhaul. It will be about $20,000 with the rear main and clutch. This will also give us a 4 year unlimited miles warranty.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I think we are leaning towards having the Cat dealer overhaul. It will be about $20,000 with the rear main and clutch. This will also give us a 4 year unlimited miles warranty.

Stick with your "Leaning Thought " .... I promise you you won't regret it ...... cheaper is not always the best, especially when you're gonna have to depend on this rig and ~$20,000 isn't chump change ......Warranty is very important ..... just remember, the money you're spending who's going to back it up if a glitch shows up ...... cheers ....

tctractors

The 3406 is a very simple motor, I would have thought it well worth the effort of doing an inframe refurb on it, the rear seal is straight forward to swap out, it is a Hydro-dynamic seal that comes with its own bit of tin to run on but they are easy to fit, all the crank bearings are easy enough to replace, the usual fault with them is the fuel side.

rshackleford

The truck goes into Butler Cat on Monday. It should be ready to go by Thursday.

Fresh overhaul, new pumps, new injectors, new rear main, and new clutch. I haven't decided on the oil cooler yet.

It is the Cat Platinum kit. There will be a 4 year unlimited mile warranty on all parts installed and free towing if i do the oil cooler. It is supposed to be $20k but i bet it ends up at $22k.

rshackleford

I had some guy how claims he is with a company called "IMT" email be from another board and told me to stay away from Mid America Diesel. He said that they do a 100% cosmetic overhaul. He went on and on about how bad they are. In the end i almost felt like he was a shill for Cat.

tctractors

Rshackleford, I am from the U.K. and feel that the $ price you have been quoted to be nothing short of a scandle, I often see massive price charges put against simple repairs done in the U.S. and cannot understand why, in the U.K. this simple job would cost about a 1/2 of what you are about to pay out for, the dearest item is the new clutch, thinking its a 2" centre Dana Spicer twin plate unit, my heart goes out to you having to pay through the nose like this, I bought some new injector nozzles today off my usual supplier for about £18 a cylinder, it would seem someone is getting rich fast on your patch.

tucked up tctractors

tctractors

chevota84, I never said the nozzles were for a 3406, they were for a 3306pc engine, but I bet its a good bit less that lots of your outlets would ask??? I do a good bit of work on the 3406 type engines and have found very good suppiers of parts for them, the 4 year thing I find hard to swallow, as the standard CAT thing is 12 months, so 4 years in the U.K. is at best a myth, I cannot think of any offers of 4 year waranty in Europe coming from CAT???, not even a brand new engine gets this, lets hope its not a dream.

tctractors

cowjockey

Don't know your location but, Tontitown, Arkansas has an old Truck shop run by two old men that are considered the very best Cat people on the planet. They stay very busy because they stand behind their work. I do not know the shop name ( I can take you to it) but, if you are interested I could get it for you. They are very honest and will not skin your wallet.

R

tctractors

This could be an interesting repair,the 4 year warranty on all parts fitted could be a worthless thing to have, no one would warranty a clutch for such a time, the rear seal needs new crank bearings to keep things running sweet and central, the pump and injectors from CAT bought over the counter only carry 12 months warranty if you are Lucky, but with the $20'000 price I think they could throw a few bits at it over 4 years and still have a few coins left in the till, I often cannot understand the massive difference between the U.K.and Europe and the U.S.