• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 336el hydraulic problems

Kelson Turner

Hi guys. have a 336el with a bzy prefix.

Anyways having some issues with the hydraulics. The swing function is very weak until you multi function. Right track is the same it’s very weak till you multi function. But the weird part is when you use right travel pedal it strokes up both pumps. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You will need to check for codes before you do anything else. Unfortunately I don't have a video that shows how to get access to the diagnostics in the monitor panel for the E series machines.

Per Eriksson

Can you clarify, you wrote that the right track is weak but then you write when you use the right travel pedal it works ok?

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I think Nige is on the right track. I'd pull the hydraulic schematic out, map out the resolver network and then operate the swing function and each function 1 at a time to see which function(s) bring the swing power up and which don't. Then repeat with the track and note the results.

If you then follow the oil flow on the schematic through the resolver network you should be able to narrow it down to which resolver could be the culprit based on what the machine is/isn't doing.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
The resolver network typically takes the highest pressure from any of the functions and routes it back to the pump, signalling it to stroke up. If a resolver is jammed up or bypassing, the pump won't see the correct pressure to signal it to stroke up for increased flow demands. When you run a 2nd function that requires higher pressure than swing or right track, that pressure is now the one signalling the pump to upstroke. That's why you're seeing the speed pick up during multifunctions.

Per Eriksson

Ok, I think I know what your problem is.
Inside the main valve there's check valves that can fail and then let's pump 2 oil bypass through the stick spool causing low flow/pressure to right track and swing unless the stick is active at the same time.

Pull them and check, in your case I'm leaning towards the top one being the issue.

upload_2021-1-24_11-51-27.png

Kelson Turner

Hi guys. We have recently checked all shuttle valves and everything looks fine. And we have checked the check valves in the main valve. We have ruled out everything and had the support from our local dealer and haven’t found the issue.

they are sending a dealer mechanic out on Monday and started a dsn so hopefully they will find something.

thanks for all the help

Per Eriksson

Interesting, never seen that before.
But the nfc valves are in the top section, the checkvalves for pump pressures to the main relief are located in the bottom section however and looking on the schematics I think you can have the same kind of symptoms if one of those is broken.
upload_2021-2-4_19-45-22.png

NathanG1995

Hey having a similar problem and found this forum, I have checked the NFC reliefs on top but where is the NFC on bottom I have checked over the schematic a dozen times! Also the check valves that are noted what are these check valves for?

Per Eriksson

Check valves in the bottom is for letting flow from each pump go to the main relief but not cross over to the other pump and vice versa

What's your serial and symptoms?

NathanG1995

336F RKB Serial - Will not track on right side and very weak on swing until you stick in and both track and swing work as it should!