• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3306b

AJsOffroad

Hi we are looking at purchasing a 1990 Peterbilt with a Cat 3306b engine in it. Was wondering if any one had any specs and/or any complaints or problems with this motor. Thanks AJ:usa

LonestarCobra

The 3306 is an excellent engine. They are a little bit small for a truck that grosses 80,000 lbs, but work well in bobtail dump trucks and mixer trucks etc. JMO

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner

Hi we are looking at purchasing a 1990 Peterbilt with a Cat 3306b engine in it. Was wondering if any one had any specs and/or any complaints or problems with this motor. Thanks AJ:usa

Great engines, they dont have great power, but unless you are in the hills, thats shouldnt be a major problem. I have one in a quad axle dump truck and it does a good job. Now major issues, that I can think of and I have owned about 8 trucks with this engine

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner

Thanks for the replies guys. When you say "low power" what does that mean? I found a spec sheet for Cat engines and it gives 4 different options for the 3306b. 245, 250, 270 and 660 hp. Kinda weird that one is 660hp. Here is the link. http://new.adieselengine.com/general_engine_specs.htm The truck is a dump truck and we don't really have any hills around here.

I know they make different 3306 hp engines, but all I have ever owned were 300hp. They had all the power the truck needed and were good on fuel. One of my trucks had a 3406 engine and they ran together, did the same work, made the same money, but the 3406 would burn about $20+, more fuel a day
I think what most people means by low power is that its just slow to get up to speed. They are good engines

2109 Stang

What I meant by low power, it took a little longer to get up on speed ,I had a Cummins C 8.3 250 hp and it would get up to hi way speed easier than a 3306 300 hp with comparable gears ,I will compare the 3306 to a 671 Detroit , compare to a 3406 it will be better on fuel on level ground , we had 10 concrete mixers with 3306 ,three of them were converted to ten wheeler dumps, they will work if your not in a hurry ,I don't remember having ever to do any work on them in ten years they were also low miles truck around 40k a year.

AJsOffroad

I know they make different 3306 hp engines, but all I have ever owned were 300hp. They had all the power the truck needed and were good on fuel. One of my trucks had a 3406 engine and they ran together, did the same work, made the same money, but the 3406 would burn about $20+, more fuel a day
I think what most people means by low power is that its just slow to get up to speed. They are good engines

Our lowboy and another dump truck of ours has the 3406b and they seem to be good engines.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Thanks for the replies guys. When you say "low power" what does that mean? I found a spec sheet for Cat engines and it gives 4 different options for the 3306b. 245, 250, 270 and 660 hp. Kinda weird that one is 660hp. Here is the link. http://new.adieselengine.com/general_engine_specs.htm The truck is a dump truck and we don't really have any hills around here.

I think the 660HP is a type O.Look at torque.With 660HP the torque should be a lot more.