1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT 329 E - Track pressure relief valve

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by ms0115, Mar 9, 2020.

1. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

CAT 329E Excavator
    Serial #- CAT0329ETPLW00668

Looking for a diagram of the location of the track pressure relief valve. Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. Nige

Nige Senior Member

You mean for the track tensioner.?

3. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

No, I was talking about the hydraulic relief valve that controls the track. I need to replace the valve part # 197-0196 and spring # 197-0199. I was told there was a service bulletin on it. And it seems that replicates that issue.

4. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Those part numbers are callouts 4 & 5 in the drawing. It's just a check valve though. Not sure if it's going to affect your travel and I don't see any service letters or mags relating to it.
    What problem are you trying to repair?

valve.jpg

5. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

This is your pilot manifold in the schematic. I'm assuming the valve is the one I've circled in red. Its job appears to be to keep the accumulator pressure available for the emergency lowering system.

valve2.jpg

6. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

Back in January we started having a tracking issue, where the machine would not go straight. Replaced the track pressure switch part # 319-4407 and the problem was fixed for about 4 weeks. Then it started intermittently acting it and I talked to the service manger at my local CAT dealer. He stated there was a bulletin on the particular check valve. So I purchased the part, but have not been able to find its location. Any thoughts on the matter?

7. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Which functions do you perceive as being faster/slower. Fwd L, Fwd R, Rev L, Rev R, a combination or random?
    Does the problem change if you work another service, eg boom, swing etc. whilst travelling?
    Do you have pressure gauges in your possession?

8. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

The switch that you changed is circled. #9
    Screenshot_20200309-201003_Chrome.jpg

9. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

I have not been to the machine since it started acting up again;But the driver states it is doing the same thing as earlier. I will test run it tomorrow and post an update.

10. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

I went to the machine, all the functions worked as intended. So I contacted the operator and he stated on initial start up the machine runs fine. After operating it for awhile the machine loses its hydraulic speed and strength. While traveling it always acted like it was making a turn. The monitor will not allow me to enter the code to get to the diagnostic tools. Any thoughts on the matter.

11. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

I think you need to revisit the machine when it's hot to properly assess what's going on. Right now the complaint is too vague to start troubleshooting.
    Why can't you enter the code? faulty buttons or something? Anyway, I think your problem is more likely to be hydraulic than electric.

12. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

When this machine was out of state they had cat come out to set up a new rock hammer. I have been unable to use the 9992 since don't know if it's related.

13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Most likely yes IMO. Some “smart” dealer tech has probably changed the Code just to fcuk everyone else up.

14. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

It's a long shot, but check what the user password is. Default should be 1. If the user password has been changed to 9992 then the service menu can't be accessed. Change the user password to anything except 9992.

15. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

Cmark, you nailed it. Changed the code it let me in.
    3633-5
    3545-3
    1658-3

16. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

17. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

They are long term ongoing faults. Notice they have all maxed out the occurrence counter at 255.
    Also note that they first occurred at different times so are probably not related to each other.
    They should be fixed but I don't think they are related to your travel problem.

18. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I PM'd you the Troubleshooitng Procedures for the three Codes.
    If you need the Electrical Schematic let me know.

19. ms0115

ms0115 Well-Known Member

Thanks I need all the help I can get.

20. Nige

Nige Senior Member

PM'd you the Electrical Schematic just in case.