• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 325L Swing bearing

bigice58

I am getting ready to change a swing bearing on our CAT 325L excavator. I have not done one before but it looks like it should be fairly simple. Does anyone have any suggestions or things I need to watch out for? Thanks

dayexco

dumb question. how many hours on this machine? i've had machines with 9k hours and never had to replace the bearing. i had a competitor that had a 50D drott...he hired a house mover to crib up the upper structure....drug the undercarriage/bearing out and replace, cost him about 1200...looked kinda slick to me.

bigice58

dayexco said:
dumb question. how many hours on this machine? i've had machines with 9k hours and never had to replace the bearing. i had a competitor that had a 50D drott...he hired a house mover to crib up the upper structure....drug the undercarriage/bearing out and replace, cost him about 1200...looked kinda slick to me.

Hello......The Excavator only has 4500 hours on it.(I know....not that many hours for a swing bearing to go.) Our company bought it at an auction in the Philippines.....The machine overall was in good condition when it shipped here on Diego garcia. When I first put it to work I could tell though that the swing was a little rough....(I don't think the thing saw too much grease in its use in the Phils, everything was dry. When I first greased the swing on it just spit it all back out as soon as it was swung. The seal is blown or something it won't hold grease.) We have been using it for almost 2 years though but it is time for the bearing to be replaced. It is getting pretty noisy and the thing is starting to pop.....I do have a couple of cranes out here that I can pick the cab off with.....I am just curious if there is anything I need to look out for in seperating the cab from the undercarriage. (Besides the obvious safety issues and such.)