• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3208 Engine, Head Gaskets,

Hi All, Im new here, So Gooday to you all,

Im not even sure where to put this post,

Question,
I have a 1989, 3208 Turbo 300 HP Caterpillar engine, Engine number OZZ42796
Its in a 36 foot Foretravel Motor Home,
Its got a water leak from the plastic tube in the heads,
So the heads have to come off to repair it,
Are all the head gaskets the same in all years on this engine,
As I am haveing trouble even finding a head gasket set,

Thank you in advance,

Brian,

Attachments

• Trip tp Malllacoota 033.jpg
    Trip tp Malllacoota 033.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • Trip tp Malllacoota 034.jpg
    Trip tp Malllacoota 034.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Trip tp Malllacoota 046.jpg
    Trip tp Malllacoota 046.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Are you sure you don't mean 02Z42796.? See below. Once you confirm your Serial Number I'll look up some parts information for it. You might struggle getting a gasket kit, it might have to be individual parts.

View attachment 287117
Unfortunately the engine is not here so I cant get the number off it,
I took that number of my Rego Papers and yes your right, There is something wrong with that engine number, So I will have to go down and get the number off my coach,

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Gasket kits are readily available for the 3208. Most of them appear to be made in China today, although you may find some still made in the U.S.
IPD, Interstate-McBee and FP still produce them.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
You can also get the gasket kits using Cat Part Numbers, and not necessarily from the Cat dealer........

One big question is do you want a "single cylinder head gasket kit" just to pull the head on one side of the engine or a "multiple cylinder head gasket kit" for both sides.?

There are a number of different alternatives for kit P/Nos which is why IMHO it is important to get the correct engine S/No before opining.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Brian, I've recently had very good service and pricing on IPD engine parts for the 3200 series engine from Earthmoving Parts & Service Solutions in Toowoomba.
Glen Blakely has been my contact there. Here is the link to their website.

https://www.epss.com.au/

The IPD distribution centre in Sydney holds quite a bit of parts stock, and they will get items in from the U.S. fairly promptly if not in stock.

If you're not in a screaming hurry, they will bring parts in for you with their normal stock shipment process, which is about every 2 weeks, and you don't have to pay big dollars for individual shipping costs by doing it that way.

Brian, I've recently had very good service and pricing on IPD engine parts for the 3200 series engine from Earthmoving Parts & Service Solutions in Toowoomba.
Glen Blakely has been my contact there. Here is the link to their website.

https://www.epss.com.au/

The IPD distribution centre in Sydney holds quite a bit of parts stock, and they will get items in from the U.S. fairly promptly if not in stock.

If you're not in a screaming hurry, they will bring parts in for you with their normal stock shipment process, which is about every 2 weeks, and you don't have to pay big dollars for individual shipping costs by doing it that way.
I will give them a call, I can get a full set from China, But Im a bit wary of getting them from China as if their the wrongs ones, It will be months before I will know or can change them,
But they are an Identical set to the USA and UK sets, From the Piccys advertised,

Welder Dave

The best thing about buying from a local dealer is if they are wrong or faulty through no fault of your own, they will correct the problem.

Are you sure you don't mean 02Z42796.? See below. Once you confirm your Serial Number I'll look up some parts information for it. You might struggle getting a gasket kit, it might have to be individual parts.

View attachment 287117
I went down and got the engine number off the engine,
Every 3208 engine I have seen is easy to get at, Mine was draped in hoses and cables, Near impossible to get at the numbers buried under heaps of stuff,
Any way after much cleaning with brake cleaner and a rag, I got it cleaned off enough to read it,

the Engine number is 02Z43796 The other number is 7C5208 Which I assume is the model number,

Thank you for your assistance, I am still trying to get one,
If I take one head off, I might as well do both, as the plastic tube in the other head is more than likely almost shot too,

Attachments

• Catapillat 3208 Engine number 073.jpg
    Catapillat 3208 Engine number 073.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
  • Catapillat 3208 Engine number 071.jpg
    Catapillat 3208 Engine number 071.jpg
  • Catapillat 3208 Engine number 089.jpg
    Catapillat 3208 Engine number 089.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The Engine number is 02Z43796 The other number is 7C5208 Which I assume is the model number,
7C-5208 is what is known as the Arrangement Number, effectively the Bill of Materials to build that particular engine. Your engine was originally built on the 29th Jan 1988, which makes it 7C-5208 CHG05. Attached the parts breakdown.

Attachments

• 7C-5209 CHG05.pdf
    233.5 KB · Views: 6