• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3204

Saul.98

Hello. I’m trying to rebuild our cat 3204 DI. I’ve been looking for the correct piston protrusion spec but can not find it in any spec book. I was wondering if somebody could help with this spec?

Saul.98

Serial number 45V75997. I have the cat spec and assembly books. But I can not find an actual spec in there.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
1. What is the engine fitted to?
2. Are you installing 2 ring or 3 ring pistons?
3. Are they genuine Cat pistons or aftermarket pistons?

The application and engine fitment is good to have. Cat engine applications can be Industrial, Automotive, Marine, Generator set, or even Fire Pump.
2 ring and 3 ring pistons may have different protrusion specs, depending on the manufacturer.
There are a number of different pistons for these engines, just from Cat alone, let alone the aftermarket suppliers.
If the pistons are aftermarket, were there any specific fitment instructions/specs in the piston boxes?
Where are you looking for the piston protrusion specs? They should be in the "Specifications" section of the Service manual.
If the protrusion specs are not listed in the "Specifications", they may be listed in the Disassembly & Assembly section of the Service manual.

Saul.98

The engine is going in a cat front end loader, so industrial. We’re trying to use aftermarket 3 ring pistons. We did not see any specs anywhere. The new pistons are .004 shorter than the old stock 2 ring pistons. We had to take .012 off block to get it flat again. The current piston protrusion is .030. According to our cat dealer, they only offer one style piston and head gasket. The new head gasket is .060 thick, same as oem. I’ve been reading that people will cut the piston down to get the piston protrusion back to spec. Problem is I can’t find a spec from cat.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The engine is going in a cat front end loader, so industrial.
That type of application is actually classed as a vehicular engine, not that it makes any difference to the specs.
The engine S/N you mentioned above originally came from an IT28B toolcarrier, Serial Number 1HF01037.

How does the block height from the centreline of the crank to the deck stack up against the specification of 21.920 ± .030 inches.?
There is no spec for piston protrusion above the deck as far as I can see, but all the documentation is obviously for use with OEM pistons not aftermarket ones.

Bluox

Never seen any protrusion specs on a 3204 motor.
But the Japan CAT motors do have protrusion specs and they are adjusted by different rod lengths.
Bob
That type of application is actually classed as a vehicular engine, not that it makes any difference to the specs.
The engine S/N you mentioned above originally came from an IT28B toolcarrier, Serial Number 1HF01037.

How does the block height from the centreline of the crank to the deck stack up against the specification of 21.920 ± .030 inches.?
There is no spec for piston protrusion above the deck as far as I can see, but all the documentation is obviously for use with OEM pistons not aftermarket ones.
My book calls out the deck height from center line of crank to deck as 12.703 -+ .0065.
Bob

Welder Dave

Apparently there is no difference between the US and Japanese engines according to the shop that rebuilt mine with IPD 3 ring pistons.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I’m late to this. Came to say protrusion specs don’t exist. But, you all figured that out. Hopefully, the aftermarket pistons work. If so, it will be reason to celebrate. On the other hand, finding parts has been difficult, you have to take what you can get.

Welder Dave

The 3064 and the 3066 dummy.
Bob
Try this experiment. Stick your head in a pail of water twice and only take it out once. Nobody appreciates your condescending attitude. Heads for sure are interchangeable between US and Japanese 3204's as are other parts.

Bluox

Try this experiment. Stick your head in a pail of water twice and only take it out once. Nobody appreciates your condescending attitude. Heads for sure are interchangeable between US and Japanese 3204's as are other parts.
We are talking about a 45V 3204, a Cat design but all were Japan built.
But seems like you always have to add 3 ring pistons kinda gets sad.
Bob

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
The original N/A 3204 and 3208 engines only had 2-ring pistons for years. This was Cat's way of producing a "low-friction" diesel engine that could match the responsiveness of the big gas engines of the day.
Remember that the 1100 series, the original basis of the 3208, was produced for Ford in 1967, at Fords request to Cat, for fitment to the Ford "heavy duty" trucks (my perception of heavy duty, and Ford's perception of heavy duty are different). The 2 ring piston design generated a lot of blowby that was collected via a blowby collector.

The 3 piston ring design for the 3204 was introduced when the engines had turbos added to them, and the blowby became too much to handle. In any operation involving regular hard work, the 3 ring piston of today is a far better choice than any 2 ring design.
By far the weakest part of the 3204's and 3208's is the conrod little end bushing. Failure of these bushings is generally the reason for any 3204 or 3208 throwing a rod through the block.
When rebuilding, if it's still available, it's advisable to use the genuine Cat little end bushing, as Cat improved the design/materials over the years, and they're better than any aftermarket little end bushing.

The 3204 can put out 160 reliable HP in the right application, they're quite a good little motor for light-to-medium duty work. Cat will tell you straight out, these engines were never designed for "heavy duty" work, unlike the rest of Cat's industrial engines.

Welder Dave

Have heard that the turbo versions of 3204's required more frequent rebuilds because they are pushing the limits for their displacement. The NA versions are generally a longer life and more reliable engine.