• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 3204 block heater

showrguy

Thanks again ks,
Are you sure you're a retired mechanic living in a stone quarry in central New York ??
You sure do have a lot of usefull and helpfull info for a man living in such conditions !!

Or am I reading that wrong ?? Lol

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thanks again ks,
Are you sure you're a retired mechanic living in a stone quarry in central New York ??
You sure do have a lot of usefull and helpfull info for a man living in such conditions !!

Or am I reading that wrong ?? Lol
Well I stopped showing up for work at the quarry back in April of 2015 and they started sending me my pension checks a few weeks later. If that's not being retired I'm not sure what it is!

Then again a few weeks back I got a phone call from the guy in the shop wanting to know where the tool box with the pusher bolts to remove the pins in the boom of the 980G was!

And if you call the shop phone number the voice on the answering machine is still mine! I mentioned that to the plant boss earlier this year and he said, "That's nothing if you call the Black Top office number the voice that answers that is for John who retired a few years before me and has since passed away, but he's still answering the phone!"

Reactions: DB2

showrguy

Well I stopped showing up for work at the quarry back in April of 2015 and they started sending me my pension checks a few weeks later. If that's not being retired I'm not sure what it is!

Then again a few weeks back I got a phone call from the guy in the shop wanting to know where the tool box with the pusher bolts to remove the pins in the boom of the 980G was!

And if you call the shop phone number the voice on the answering machine is still mine! I mentioned that to the plant boss earlier this year and he said, "That's nothing if you call the Black Top office number the voice that answers that is for John who retired a few years before me and has since passed away, but he's still answering the phone!"
That's an awesome story..
Either way, I really appreciate all the help you lend to not only me, but many who come here seeking help/advice....
Some take it well, some don't wanna listen at all, I'm not "that guy"... I read most all the threads, but don't have much to add compared to some of you seasoned veterans...
All of you guys are greatly appreciated by me !!

showrguy

Update: Ended up installing the KATZ 1500 watt coolant heater, took all of about 15 minutes with an axtra pair of hands..
Ran the machine about 20 minutes back around the house, checked the new heater and it was quite warm, so I'm pretty sure we got flow and any air out of it..
I think we should be good to go, unless someone says "hey dummy, that ain't gonna work"....lol
Appreciate all of your help and suggestions..image.jpeg

showrguy

Update #2, Tried to start machine yesterday to move it..
It cranked real slow and did'nt wanna fire, temps were up to about mid 40's F, ..
Pluged in the heater for the 1st time since install, left it go for 1 hour, machine fired almost instantly when I hit the starter..
Success !!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Glad to hear it worked and made engine fire right up. One note it is a good idea to unplug an electric heater before trying to start an engine. What can happen is where engine starts and the coolant is flowing by the heating element there can be some air bubbles in the coolant. The element might over heat as it is designed to be completely covered with water while power is on it.

Update #2, Tried to start machine yesterday to move it..
It cranked real slow and did'nt wanna fire, temps were up to about mid 40's F, ..
Pluged in the heater for the 1st time since install, left it go for 1 hour, machine fired almost instantly when I hit the starter..
Success !!

showrguy

Glad to hear it worked and made engine fire right up. One note it is a good idea to unplug an electric heater before trying to start an engine. What can happen is where engine starts and the coolant is flowing by the heating element there can be some air bubbles in the coolant. The element might over heat as it is designed to be completely covered with water while power is on it.
Thank you Mr. Hansen,
Will put that in mental notes for the future..