• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 320 excavator with cummins engine

dynahoescott

engine swaps

Yes, that was interesting but the wildest swap I ever saw was a 3-53 detroit in a cse 850 c track loader.:beatsme

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Hows it going....that is some amount of work! Are the air vents on the side panels to suit the cooling of the new engine? Any ideas why go to all this work are the mitz engines very expensive to repair?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've heard that it is not easy to get the Mitsubishi engine at all. I would assume the Cummins might be cheap enough to make the swap over cost effective. Now though there are plenty of inexpensive excavators on the market. Why go to all the bother of the change.

faurbina

I'm the owner of this excavator. I swapped the 3066 engine (Mitsubishi) because I repaired it six times!! The engine was ok until the first time we repaired it (worked about 12.000 hours) but, after that, I started to lose money, time and patience... Wasting money in one Block (I put a new one U$11.000), two Cramshafts, Injectors, etc, etc.. I have others Cat equipments, and I never have had throubles with the Engines... I guess this case is because this is a japanese engine built by Mitsubishi..

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Lovely job....was there much head scratching and machining to get it working?

gasfield315c

Occupation
build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
i think everything should have a cummins in it...when that 320's tracks and boom wear out and fall plum off, you could take the engine out and put it in another one and keep running it. A place i used to work at had a grove crane with a 6BT cummins in it, and the radiator had a hole in it the size of a baseball, i was driving it to another job one day and the engine got so hot it locked up, we let it cool off for about an hour, put some more water in it and it fired right back up, as far as i know its still working, and that has been 5 years ago

anthony0488

I'm the owner of this excavator. I swapped the 3066 engine (Mitsubishi) because I repaired it six times!! The engine was ok until the first time we repaired it (worked about 12.000 hours) but, after that, I started to lose money, time and patience... Wasting money in one Block (I put a new one U$11.000), two Cramshafts, Injectors, etc, etc.. I have others Cat equipments, and I never have had throubles with the Engines... I guess this case is because this is a japanese engine built by Mitsubishi..
Hi, we are trying to do the same swap for the same reason, what are the good and bad things while swap is done and after in the long run? Thanks

Hi, we are trying to do the same swap for the same reason, what are the good and bad things while swap is done and after in the long run? Thanks
Hey I would like to revive this old thread. Has anyone else done this .My 3066 took a dump the other day and I'm considering this swap .Was anyone able to find a flywheel that bolted right up or did you have to Fab one?

TVA

Hey I would like to revive this old thread. Has anyone else done this .My 3066 took a dump the other day and I'm considering this swap .Was anyone able to find a flywheel that bolted right up or did you have to Fab one?

I think you can keep your old flywheel, just adopt the flex plate to it, check out https://www.hayescouplings.com.

Still gonna need to match bellhousing to pump drive flange.

I think you can keep your old flywheel, just adopt the flex plate to it, check out https://www.hayescouplings.com.

Still gonna need to match bellhousing to pump drive flange.

I was able to find a bell housing to fit the cummins to fit my pump it's an SAE3.
Nice Used Takeoff Cummins 5.9 B Series SAE #3 Flywheel Bell Housing 3959804 OEM https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163124282640

My concern is that my current flywheel is a 6 bolt with 2 allignment studs and the Cummins is an 8 bolt with 1 allignment stud.

Has anyone else actually done this conversion? If so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

TVA

Does the Cummins have a flywheel?
If it does - then think about how to adapt your pump shaft to it.

TVA

And what coupling is on yours? There’s the chance it will fit right in.

People even adapting keyed shafts, it’s doable.

TVA

I am involved in the work on Italian made Ascom travel lift which gets new power pack. The Iveco engine and obsolete Brevini pump gets replaced with 6bt and Sauer Danfoss pump, reason being - it is a PITA to get parts for OEM! And owner can’t afford to have that machine down for more then a couple of days. Cummins and Sauer Danfoss parts readily available, longest lead time is overnight!