1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 320 excavator with cummins engine

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by 312King, May 1, 2010.

1. 312King

312King Well-Known Member

2. dynahoescott

dynahoescott Well-Known Member

engine swaps

Yes, that was interesting but the wildest swap I ever saw was a 3-53 detroit in a cse 850 c track loader.:beatsme

DMiller likes this.
  3. ddigger

ddigger Senior Member

contractor,owner operater
    I know a guy who did that as well.

4. Jam

Jam Well-Known Member

Building contractor
    Hows it going....that is some amount of work! Are the air vents on the side panels to suit the cooling of the new engine? Any ideas why go to all this work are the mitz engines very expensive to repair?

5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    I've heard that it is not easy to get the Mitsubishi engine at all. I would assume the Cummins might be cheap enough to make the swap over cost effective. Now though there are plenty of inexpensive excavators on the market. Why go to all the bother of the change.

6. faurbina

faurbina New Member

I'm the owner of this excavator. I swapped the 3066 engine (Mitsubishi) because I repaired it six times!! The engine was ok until the first time we repaired it (worked about 12.000 hours) but, after that, I started to lose money, time and patience... Wasting money in one Block (I put a new one U$11.000), two Cramshafts, Injectors, etc, etc.. I have others Cat equipments, and I never have had throubles with the Engines... I guess this case is because this is a japanese engine built by Mitsubishi..

7. Jam

Jam Well-Known Member

Building contractor
    Lovely job....was there much head scratching and machining to get it working?

8. gasfield315c

gasfield315c Well-Known Member

build gaswell locations in the steeper than a mule
    i think everything should have a cummins in it...when that 320's tracks and boom wear out and fall plum off, you could take the engine out and put it in another one and keep running it. A place i used to work at had a grove crane with a 6BT cummins in it, and the radiator had a hole in it the size of a baseball, i was driving it to another job one day and the engine got so hot it locked up, we let it cool off for about an hour, put some more water in it and it fired right back up, as far as i know its still working, and that has been 5 years ago

9. cummins05

cummins05 Senior Member

Thats a nice swap of a ppump 12valve non intercooled engine

10. anthony0488

anthony0488 Active Member

Hi, we are trying to do the same swap for the same reason, what are the good and bad things while swap is done and after in the long run? Thanks

11. justin spangler

justin spangler Member

Hey I would like to revive this old thread. Has anyone else done this .My 3066 took a dump the other day and I'm considering this swap .Was anyone able to find a flywheel that bolted right up or did you have to Fab one?

12. TVA

TVA Senior Member

I think you can keep your old flywheel, just adopt the flex plate to it, check out https://www.hayescouplings.com.

Still gonna need to match bellhousing to pump drive flange.

13. justin spangler

justin spangler Member

I was able to find a bell housing to fit the cummins to fit my pump it's an SAE3.
    Nice Used Takeoff Cummins 5.9 B Series SAE #3 Flywheel Bell Housing 3959804 OEM https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/163124282640

My concern is that my current flywheel is a 6 bolt with 2 allignment studs and the Cummins is an 8 bolt with 1 allignment stud.

Has anyone else actually done this conversion? If so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

14. TVA

TVA Senior Member

Does the Cummins have a flywheel?
    If it does - then think about how to adapt your pump shaft to it.

15. justin spangler

justin spangler Member

The cummins I'm getting doesn't have the flywheel. I thought about buying one of these and then figuring out how to adapt to mine.

Flywheel New to fits Cummins 4B 4BT 4BTA 6B 6BT 6BTA SAE3 3973747, 130422X, C397 https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132610612961

Current flywheel
    IMG_20190301_182845_03.jpg IMG_20190301_121234.jpg IMG_20190301_182845_03.jpg IMG_20190301_121234.jpg IMG_20190301_182845_03.jpg IMG_20190301_121234.jpg

16. TVA

TVA Senior Member

And what coupling is on yours? There’s the chance it will fit right in.

People even adapting keyed shafts, it’s doable.

17. justin spangler

justin spangler Member

18. TVA

TVA Senior Member

I am involved in the work on Italian made Ascom travel lift which gets new power pack. The Iveco engine and obsolete Brevini pump gets replaced with 6bt and Sauer Danfoss pump, reason being - it is a PITA to get parts for OEM! And owner can’t afford to have that machine down for more then a couple of days. Cummins and Sauer Danfoss parts readily available, longest lead time is overnight!

19. kashif786

kashif786 New Member

hello everyone I'm kashif...my excavator 320b cat automatically monitor panel off now not working what will do

20. Stanley P’articklesz

Stanley P’articklesz New Member

So were you able to swap it cause I also want to do same with my 320bl with a Mitsubishi engine for a Cummins engine but been think of how the Cummins engine will adapt to my hydraulic pump
    More info on how you were able to do that