• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 312BL Warning lights comes on.

anuradha

Hi,

Screenshot_2021-06-09-06-31-49.png

As this image shows this CAT 312BL machine with serial number 9FS00946 shows these alert lights even after engine is started.

After starting the engine, bottom 03 alert indications & charge alert indicator should be turned off if these fluid levels ok and relevant sensors, ecu ,monitor, alternator & wiring lines fine.
( coolant level, engine oil level & hydraulic oil level alerts)

After starting this machine within first 05 minutes of high idling then alert indication for engine oil pressure comes on with the alarm buzzer and stays with the warning light flashing and alarm buzzing.

it takes about 2,3 minutes to comes on [alert indicator and alarm buzzer] after starting the engine
& at first this warning comes intermittently and after little while this stays continuously. All this thing happens with in first 05 minutes after starting.

As operator says he has worked with these warning lights and alarm buzzer for about 1.5 hour until it automatically stops the engine. And he has started it again at that moment and immediately all the alert indicators above mentioned have illuminated again. but engine oil pressure alert and buzzer have turned on quicker than the earlier as above mentioned.

As he said now that the engine automatically stops with these conditions with in about 15-20 minutes of work.

I told him that not to run the machine any more with these issues until solve it.

1.Which of these 05 alert indicators responsible to turn off the engine for safety in combination with the ecu ?

2.If engine shuts off due to one of these indications, how long will it takes to turn off the engine ?

3.I would like to know your ideas about that why engine oil pressure warning comes on like this and reasons for engine shutdown?

I think this oil pressure warning can come up because of a bad pressure switch, low engine oil pressure due to various engine issues( bearing leakings etc.), a wiring issue or ecu fault.

I did not check any thing until now ( fault codes, engine oil pressure using a gauge, senders conditions, supply voltages, wiring, etc. ) because machine is working at little far from where i live.

4.Could this be a something else because of all these alerts comes on at the same time ?

So if you have any ideas it will be helpful to me.

Thank you.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Here is a good video showing how to check the diagnostics in the machine. Unfortunately there is no read out for engine oil pressure. You have to plug in a gauge. I'm afraid that is the only way to confirm a problem with the pressure sensor. If it is low, I would be pulling and cutting apart the engine oil filter looking for debris.

heymccall

IIRC, the system had a flaw...when the hydraulic oil level was low (or the wires broke on the level sender), all those warning lights would come on together. It was verified by shorting the two hydraulic tank sensor wires together. I changed quite a few of them. It is a round fitting, with two wrench flats, on the hydraulic pump side of the tank. If the expoxied in wires are still intact, and the hydraulic oil level is in the sight glass, unplug the sensor and jumper the harness pins together, and retry.

Last edited:

anuradha

IIRC, the system had a flaw...when the hydraulic oil level was low (or the wires broke on the level sender), all those warning lights would come on together. It was verified by shorting the two hydraulic tank sensor wires together. I changed quite a few of them. It is a round fitting, with two wrench flats, on the hydraulic pump side of the tank. If the expoxied in wires are still intact, and the hydraulic oil level is in the sight glass, unplug the sensor and jumper the harness pins together, and retry.

Hi,

Thank you very much sir.
Exactly i followed your instructions as you mentioned & it solved our problem.

but here is one little thing. hydraulic pump is leaking near the pump support plate.
20210612_192503.jpg
20210612_191525.jpg
We need to repair it. So if we go to repair it do we need to remove the pilot pump & support plate. Or is there an easy way to do that. Is there a oring or something like that and what will be the issue for leaking from this place ? And what will be the correct solution fot this issue ?

Any help will be really helpful to us.

Thank you.

Reactions: ALB