• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 312B/C/D/E

dieseldog5.9

Going to look at a 314D Tomorrow, has some traits of a zero swing machine but not totally zero swing, not 100% clear on that as of yet. Has a blade, never wanted a blade, thought those were for mini excavators so they didnt get drug around, but maybe there is some advantage that I am missing, being a mechanic the thought of running an excavator undercarriage back and forth makes my wallet tingle.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Does the blade have a cutting edge. If not, factor in a new bottom edge welding job every 500 to 1,000 hours.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Around here they use them like battering rams and full dozer blade to work on stumps, asphalt and concrete. It was a common problem with trade in machines. They were broke up at the push beam welds to the back of the blade and/or the bottom edge of the blade was worn off the blade was packed full of dirt. I didn't find that to be the case on machines with bolt on cutting edges. That went for all makes.

DGODGR

Going to look at a 314D Tomorrow, has some traits of a zero swing machine but not totally zero swing, not 100% clear on that as of yet. Has a blade, never wanted a blade, thought those were for mini excavators so they didnt get drug around, but maybe there is some advantage that I am missing, being a mechanic the thought of running an excavator undercarriage back and forth makes my wallet tingle.
Hopefully you will find a great machine to buy when you go see it. Personally, I've not been a fan of those due to small over all feeling but specifically tight quarters in the cab and ingress/egress. I do like the baldes for that size machine though. Especially for a compact radius.

dieseldog5.9

After looking and looking and looking, I found and bought the White Whale. Good thing because the better half was going to have me committed.

312CL, 5000hrs, not a ding in any of the panels, long stick.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Pics or it didn't happen.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Congrats! That's a nice looking 312.

First full size hoe I bought new was a 315CL and it was a great machine.

dieseldog5.9

I am a simpler is better kind of guy, Cummins diesel trucks with manual transmissions, never bought DEF. I paid all the money but have been shopping for a 312 for 2 years, B or C would have been fine, looked at multiple machines hundreds of miles away that were trashed.

Have a 315B, 311, 307CL, 303.5DCR. We do a lot of septic systems, found the 311 to work well but needed a touch more reach.

Working on adding the Aux circuit for a thumb, but Cat discontinued, and have to use aftermarket or fab something up.

DGODGR

Congrats! That's a nice looking 312.

First full size hoe I bought new was a 315CL and it was a great machine.
Me too!!...and mine has been good for me too! So far, that is. The meter is indicating about 9,000 hours now. I used her just the other day and she still works well!

DGODGR

I am a simpler is better kind of guy, Cummins diesel trucks with manual transmissions, never bought DEF. I paid all the money but have been shopping for a 312 for 2 years, B or C would have been fine, looked at multiple machines hundreds of miles away that were trashed.

Have a 315B, 311, 307CL, 303.5DCR. We do a lot of septic systems, found the 311 to work well but needed a touch more reach.

Working on adding the Aux circuit for a thumb, but Cat discontinued, and have to use aftermarket or fab something up.
In my opinion the "C" model machines are much better performers than the "B" models. I think you did well to have found one that clean and only 5k hours.

Reactions: JPV

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Me too!!...and mine has been good for me too! So far, that is. The meter is indicating about 9,000 hours now.

Our 321DL has 8K plus hours on the clock and I'd just as soon run it as our 325FL. Had to put a can of freon in it a couple of weeks ago and now she's cooling nicely.:D

dieseldog5.9

Yes, My local Cat dealer quoted me an HKX Kit. $8500:( I am torn between buying the HKX kit from Cat, and being done with it, or coming up with another option.

They pulled the listing for cat aux lines so I cant look them up on SIS. Assuming Cat made the lines at some point, so there is a part number for them out there.

Mbar

Call USA attachments in king nc. They build progressive link thumbs as well as standard and fixed. I Plumed there first progressive link for them. It was a very nice thumb.