• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3126 rear main install tool

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The parts manual for your particular engine shows two 3/4" thread plugs on the top of the flywheel housing at approximately 10 & 2 o'clock.
It does not show any sensors mounted in that location. I suspect you are correct and that the sensor is a Grove part to provide a signal for the tachometer. In which case it will have nothing whatsoever to do with the engine starting issues you are experiencing.

56wrench

that old 3/4 unf sensor looks the same as the tach sensor used on some older ag tractors and combines

crane operator

Grove man confirms it is a grove part, not Cat. Service guy (Grove) says its not tied into ecm/ no fuel. Looks like I'm going to have to have the Cat man come out with his computer and play the "rabbit season- duck season" game on whether its a grove issue it won't run, or a cat issue.:rolleyes:

I'm betting we've pulled a wire or pushed it out of place on the big ecm plug. We had it unplugged and left everything else on the engine, we did have a few grounds unhooked and other wires, fun fun. Thanks everyone.

56wrench

to me, it looks like a generic speed sensor used by several tractor/combine/equipment manufacturers. it looks the same as my old White Farm Equipment tractors and New Holland combine. i have bought replacements from a business that repairs ag/industrial electronic tachs, gauge clusters, etc

crane operator

It LIVES!

Local dirt contractors mechanic came by early this week, and hooked his computer to it. No communication, :rolleyes:, he says his won't read anything older than 2015:eek: That totally leaves out my equipment repertoire.

My good man Jim stuck with it, and found the hot wires on the starter solenoid were loose. The starter had stayed in the crane just pulled off to the side and hanging in the frame while the motor was out, but evidently swung enough to loosen the wires, we never unwired it.

It was getting enough 12v to crank, but was evidently losing something vital and wouldn't give it fuel. Thanks for the help everyone.