• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cat 312 wiring

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Hows it going guys i have 3 questions.... firstly i have no current to my beacon or lighter socket to the lefthand side behind the seat. All my fuses under the lefthand side armrest are good, is this circuit fused separetly? Secondly is there any ready connections on the machine where i could pick up on the wiring loom to wire in a motion buzzer? and lastly i have no wiper working.. when i press the switch it lights the indicater but nothing happens. I have one positive and two earths at the wiper motor plug but nothing switching when i press the button. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Last edited:

Lee-online

Don't know what 312 you have but guessing, The wire on the back of the socket may have fallen off. They just push on.

Don't cut into the harness, some wires go to the ecm and tapping into it will cause problems. Where are you putting the buzzer?

Make sure the window switch is pushed when the front window is closed, this allows the wiper to only work when the window is shut.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I don't either what 312 you have unless its built for the British Isles ? ....but my 312 has not got a lighter plug behind the seat its at the consol (right side) where the cup holder and switches are .... as mentioned check the plug-in on top of the roll up door/window, if you say you have power it may be the motor ..... have you checked the fuses below the air filter and batteries are ...left side of machine and left side when you open up the access door, there should also be a location for a fuse there (15 Amp) for the motion or back-up beeper ... I know this one for a fact cause thats where I unplugged mine it was driving people crazy when a guy is working in the residential areas .... my machine is at a job site otherwise I could give you the fuse location number .... good-luck and let us know what you found ....GK

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Correction its a 10 Amp fuse (spade type) and the location is number 11, centre row fourth from the top ... labeled as "Travel Alarm"

and the wiper/washer fuse is there too, its number 12, below #11 same row of fuses .... also a 10 Amp

Found my spare manual here in my office ....LOL

Last edited:

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Sorry it is a 312bl... The wiper problem was the window switch alright so that one thing sorted anyway. Still cant find a fuse for the beacon though? Thanks

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
According to my manual these are the only fuses on the machine except for the two circuit breakers inside in the battery compartment but im hoping there is something elsewhere? All fuses check ok. Every other circuit on the machine is working except for the power socket shown below nd the beacon which is the same source. Any ideas would save me chasing the wires:pointhead As for the motion buzzer it has become manditory here now to have one fitted so just wondering is there a socket somewhere on the machine to plug in a new one?

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 964
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 935

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
After you posted what series 312 it is that would explain why .... the older "A" series machines have a similar breaker panel where I described previously .... but you should be able to see the fuse location for the travel alarm and back trace from there ....if you have a Cat dealer around they should be able to provide you with the build sheet for your machine .... it may be listed that it was factory pre-wired, if that would help you .... but you are sure there is not one on there already ? .... my 320 was supposed to have one too and it never worked either ...we searched every where and could not find it ..... I was having some warranty issues dealt with and the Cat Tech also looked every where he could think of too ...... according to the build sheet it was supposed to have it ...... he found by a quik trace of a couple of wires that all of a sudden 2 wires showed up that were not factory .....he dug a bit deeper and found that the previos owner had put an interceptor switch in (hidden) to turn that thing off .... when we switched it on we then found where the beeper was stashed (behind a panel in the counter weight) ..... those little buggers can drive you crazy when you're look'n for them but the build sheet is what made us not give up ......just a thought of what you might have ...good-luck

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hi there Jam hope alls well down your end of the country!
Just reading over your posts quickly if it is alot of bother to find the wires on your machine for the travel alarms (and they may not even be there for this country) a quick way to do it is to fit small switchs to the travel levers! you can get little durite ones for a few £'s i use them for brake lights and thing on older machines dumpers etc! I l post a picture and a part no. for you if you want to go down this route!

CPS

Cmark

Without a serial number I can't be sure, but all the 312BL schematics I've just looked at are wired for travel alarm.

To find the alarm, look under the machine roughly in the area underneath the radiator. One of the covers should have holes in it. The alarm should be in there. If it isn't there you should still find a plug with two wires; 200 black and 321 brown. Plug your alarm in here. Cat part number is 3E7738 but any alarm should do the job.

If you're having trouble, 200 black is the earth and 321 brown goes to pin 31 on the engine/pump controller. The switch is on top of the main valve bank and will have 200 black and L971 green wires. 200 black is earth and L971 green goes to pin 18 on the EPC.

Good luck....

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Cheers that brilliant il check under that 2mo for the wires. The machine serial no is 0312be9fs01302..Dont think the irish machines came with the buzzer but hopefully the wiring is there. I changed the front engine cover and timing case gaskets 100hrs ago with all genuine bits nd used a red cat sealer which came in a can with a little brush..... What a f*** up as it turns out the sealer attacked the gaskets like an acid shrinking and burning them up which ended with all the cover bolts being lose and water leaking everywhere:Banghead. Have the lot stripped down now again waiting for new ones in the morning. Anyone else ever learn this leason the hard way? Im going using dirko sealer for reassembly the second time. In the middle of this we are piping her for a double acting/breaker and case drain circuits at the mo. Thankfully there is an extra slice already in the valve chest but the pressure relief valve were crazzy money

Attachments

• 1234.jpg
    1234.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 894
  • 123.jpg
    123.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 970

Cmark

Yeah. The red sealer in a tin is meant for final drive casings on tractors and used without a gasket. I suggest you get 4C9614 sealant.

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Cheers Cmark you are spot on about the buzzer wires, found them tucked in behind the batteries:) As for the beacon someone was after hiding it inside in the relay box behind the cab. The was some slip up ordering the gaskets so i wont have them till tuesday to get her rolling again. Have most of the plumbing done but i have to find the connections for the wiring coming from the buttons on the top of the joysticks to work my control valves for the pilot pressure. Any direction you could give me would be grately appreciated? The third pic is a change over valve to switch between double acting for the screener bucket to single acting a hammer. Pressure relief for the bucket recomended at 220bar. So hoping i wont need to adjust pressures for hammer work.

Attachments

• 27032010134.jpg
    27032010134.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 920
  • 27032010132.jpg
    27032010132.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 817
  • 27032010138.jpg
    27032010138.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 27032010136.jpg
    27032010136.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 858

Cmark

I'm guessing you've got the 3 button LH joystick. If so, then the wires from the two auxilliary buttons are C576 blue and C577 grey.

I think they terminate somewhere round the back of the hydraulic tank. They are part of the same harness for the fuel level sender and swing brake solenoid.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Boy am I glad we didn't send you on a wild goose chase
Way to go on finding the wires, thats why I gave you the case senario like my 320 .....Cat pretty much has all machines pre-wired at the factories so their own techs can plug and play all add ons

Congrats again !

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Cheers lads ye are worth yer weight in gold when im up and running il throw up another pic:)

Jam

Occupation
Building contractor
Up and going now anyway. Cheers Cmark about the wiring it would have worked perfect except only one feed wire so had to make our own harness to operate the buttons on each joystick, right for normal use and the left to reverse the bucket. Last job now is to find out are these tips very worn or is there more aggressive tips available for working with mostly topsoil which seems to be fairly slow moving through the bucket..

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 137
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 139