• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3116 swap , cummins 290 ?

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
My gut feeling is that if you do actually what it takes to get to 1800 RPM at 80 mph, you will wish the gears were shorter because the engine will be laboring to push all that headwind at that low of an RPM, plus throw in any kind of hill and it will be all over. I have found it seems best to have RPM near max or at least near max power in top gear at maximum intended speed. No reason to have to use next-to-top gear because true top gear is too tall.

That being said, I get nervous even at 65 mph thinking of all the spinning parts and tires just waiting to fly apart at the worst time, or somebody get in front of the truck. I would not drive 80 in a truck under any circumstances.