• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 3116 swap , cummins 290 ?

10hotrod16

I HAVE A TOPKICK WITH A CAT 3116 AND ALLISON, IS IT POSSIBLE TO SWAP ENGINE TO A 290 CUMMINS? WILL IT FIT, AND WHAT BELL HOUSING/FLYWHEEL WILL I NEED?:usa:usa:usa:usa

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
anything is possible, almost
I have changed several engines, with different models and I said each time, I would never do it again
I definitely would not tackle this project
Is your 3116 a computer engine, Im pretty sure the 290 is not a computer engine
To my knowledge, the topkick never had a 290 in it
As bad as I hate the 3116 engine, I would get a rebuilt 3116 and install it back in your truck
You will be money ahead, the engines are just too different, motor mounts Hummm youll have to make them, what a pain
Radiators, you might have to have one special made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
air filter housing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
front motor mounts
fan blade to match radiator
cooling piping
relocating tranny shifter
clutch linkage HUMMMMMMM$$$$$$$
flywheel will probrably have to be changed, maybe a different style clutch
The list goes on and on
The truck is just too small, to accommodate much retrofit
lots of headbagging

JBGASH

Occupation
Plumbing & Excavation Contractor / farmer
Willis, are the Cat 3116 engines bad? I have one in my 953C trackloader that has been good so far, is there issues with the 3116 to be looking out for? thanks
anything is possible, almost
I have changed several engines, with different models and I said each time, I would never do it again
I definitely would not tackle this project
Is your 3116 a computer engine, Im pretty sure the 290 is not a computer engine
To my knowledge, the topkick never had a 290 in it
As bad as I hate the 3116 engine, I would get a rebuilt 3116 and install it back in your truck
You will be money ahead, the engines are just too different, motor mounts Hummm youll have to make them, what a pain
Radiators, you might have to have one special made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
air filter housing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
front motor mounts
fan blade to match radiator
cooling piping
relocating tranny shifter
clutch linkage HUMMMMMMM$$$$$$$
flywheel will probrably have to be changed, maybe a different style clutch
The list goes on and on
The truck is just too small, to accommodate much retrofit
lots of headbagging

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
they are called throw away engines
They seem to work better in equipment than they do in trucks
Cat thought they got smart and replaced these engines with a 3126, not much better
There are some of these engines, that give better service, normally they are crappy engines

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I guess you dont need clutch linkage, you have a automatic
call GMC?Chev and see what engines came in the topkick, then try to find a parts truck with the engine you want to install and buy the brackets, etc. If the dealer says it only came with 3116, then you have an up hill battle

10hotrod16

Thanks guys, for all the info, ya it may be a long drawn out project, i think ill trash the truck and find a good truck to go under my dump bed.........................

02Dmax

The only engines the topkick (90's models that would've come factory with a 3116) ever came with was the 3116, 3126, or a gas V8. I'm swapping an 8.3 into mine next weekend. Had an 8.3 shipped to me. I'll make a thread about it.

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Why swap out the 3116? I've always found them to be very good motors in trucks. I'd take it over the Cummins any day.

If the truck is spec'd right and with some basic service there's no reason not to be able to do 300k+ with no major repairs.

02Dmax

I'm going with an 8.3 because

1. Its a sleeved engine so you can rebuild it more times
2. It'll make 100 more hp than a 3116 and get the same mpg with basic mods
3. You can run the overhead on it without $3500 worth of tools
4. It's simply easier to work on.

That being said, my 3116 has been a good engine and has taken alot of abuse.

10hotrod16

I agree with you 02dmax, my lil 3116 has been good, but it's tired now, it has a piston clicking, the front cover is leaking oil,and a injector cold flooding, the price to repair is more than what i want to spend on it, so im going to swap it out.

02Dmax

I've got one but need another one for another repower I'm doing. How much monies?

clunker

Im looking to repower a topkick (33kgvw) also. getting as much homework as I can. where to start? seen a few threads..

clunker

Looking for a Cummings to put in my topkick frame, but which one. I have a 3116 170hp, looking for 100 more horses in dump truck application.(single axle) I put a thirteen speed in long time ago but need for hp

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
A 3116 will do 250 hp with the turn of a screw and proper tuning. I have seen them at 275 hp too. We have dynoed them. Most failures are caused by improper synchronization or lack of maintenance.

clunker

I was told=new turbo,cam.fuel injectors is the beginning of new hp of this throw away motor. I saw a few threads of Cummings 290 or 8.something being installed in a topkick. just fishing right now seeing where it goes..

02Dmax

8.3 6CTA is what I did. Reliable 400hp with minimal mods. Great mileage, great reliability and super simple. I've done mine and 2 others since.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2