• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 308 kx080

EvanM

This isnt a what is better. I have been researching and want to pick up either one of these.
Looking at getting used less than 5000 hours hoping to hit in 50k or less price range.

Looking more at longevity. We tend to run machines to 10k or more. Machine will be used on residential clearance digs, usually 1.5-2ft cut. 1800sq ft no basement. Aswell as utilities and help with backfill.
My old man's a died in woods backhoe guy. I'm opposite give me a excavator and I'll do it all faster than a hoe.20180815_153817.jpg

Is that cat worth getting if planning to keep it till its death. 580 pictured is at 10400 weve had it since about 3000.

I'm just kinda thinking out loud. Have 8t machines on the brain

Gchartrand

I don't know much about cat 308. But I have 2009 kx 080 with over 10000 on it. Super dependable. No major issues, but I'm always thinking if I should trade it in. It's a lot of hours for a smaller machine. All I can tell you is that a well kept 080 will last a long long time.

wattsbackhoe

Occupation
Business owner
Both are good machines, the most important thing is making sure you can get parts for the one you are going to buy. Most of the 8 ton machines will make it to 10k no problem as long as they are maintained. I am also a converted backhoe guy, The excavators last longer, stay tighter, and are cheaper to operate over time.

JaredV

We have a 308. Not impressed. The whole machine seems like a half-hearted attempt to fill a gap in the product line. A factory rep told me they aren't built by Cat. The cab has a tiny door and front window, the thumb is a skeleton that can be tweaked if you aren't careful, the quick change has to be cycled twice to drop a bucket, and probably the dumbest thing is the stick has two pin positions at the top so you can either have reach or work close in but not both. A slightly longer cylinder would give both. I will say it is smooth and has good power, both digging and tracks. I've been on a handful of older 60-80 size Komatsus, Kobelcos, and Takos and prefer them over the 308.