• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 307 Swing Gearing Vent?

Haymaker101

Good morning guys,
I have a cat 307C excavator that keeps losing the swing gear oil out of the filler tube/dipstick which is roughly 8 inches tall. It holds .4 gallons going by the manual and during the course of running for a couple hours all the oil will come up out of the dipstick tube. Is there some type of breather vent? Thanks for the help

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
A possibilty is that Hydraulic fluid may be forcing the oil to come from the dip stick, has the case drain filter been changed recently?
Kind regards
Uffex

digs2

If the motor has lost the front seal it can push fluid in to the rotator gears and cause overflow

Easy test ,pop the motor with lines still on and try it , leak will be obvious

Haymaker101

Morning uffex,
I looking at this diagram, is this considered the case drain filter and it’s location? Thank you
Digs2, are you referring to engine oil would mix into the hydraulic, swing engine? Sorry just have me confused.
image.jpg

digs2

I am referring to the swing drive hydraulic motor . If the front shaft seal fails oil will likely enter the gearbox and begin overfilling .
The chamber in the 307 is small so a small leak will change the level fast . Water intrusion can also raise a fluid level , not that easy but possible .Milky oil would be obvious .

digs2

I notice your in mass , If you determine the motor is leaky take it off and Northland and Willette in Plainville,ma
will rebuild your motor with all cat seals . I'm sure your familiar with Milton , they get it done too . I prefer the personal experience at a smaller shop ?

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Thank you Nigel for coming on board, hands up I do not have a hydraulic schematic to check. I guess it dumps leak-fluid direct to the pumps?
Haymaker I guess this has already been straightened out the filter you have illustrated is a suction for the main pump, maybe you can lift the swing motor enough to establish if it is the cause of leakage.
Kind regards
Uffex

Haymaker101

I will definitely buy a new suction filter for the excavator but there are no other apparent leaks anywhere around the motor or seals. It strictly comes out the top of the filler tube, nowhere else. Very strange to me. I look forward to hearing more ideas from all you guys, thank you for your time and your help

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I will definitely buy a new suction filter for the excavator
If you refer to the O&M Manual the suction "filter" is actually a (metal) screen, so unless it is physically damaged all that will be required is to wash it in some sort of solvent and then replace it using new O-Rings. See step 16 of the procedure.
If you find any majkor debris stuck to it then I would suggest you take photos and post them up here.

upload_2022-6-25_22-42-47.png

Haymaker101

There is no way that a well restricted in tank hydraulic line Return line element would cause issues with the swing gear, right? Or am I missing something here. Thanks again

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day
It would appear that the Cat machines have a differing concept to the majority of machines in the market all of which use case drain filters to reduce the pressure on shaft seals.I note that the maximum value for shaft seals is quoted by Eaton at 2 bars approximately 30 p.s.i..
Im not sure if the case drain goes returns via the main filters or dumps direct back to the pump inlet (Nige maybe you could clarify).
There would be little benefit from renewing the suction filter although the main return filters beneath the circular plate 6 on the tank top may well help depending on the case drain return route.
Kind regards
Uffex

upload_2022-6-26_9-2-55.png

Nige

It would appear that the Cat machines have a differing concept to the majority of machines in the market all of which use case drain filters to reduce the pressure on shaft seals.
I think it is just the mini machines that don't have case drain filters in the implement hydraulic system - maybe a space issue or even something related to the size of the swing/travel motors. The larger models all seem to have them.

The schematic (attached) shows what I take to be the swing motor case drain line routed straight back to the hydraulic tank.

Attachments

• RENR4016-01 - Hydraulic Schematic.pdf
    376.2 KB · Views: 11

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Nige
Thank you for the response, a star of the forum for sure.
Kind regards
Uffex

Nige

The easiest suggestion at this point seems to be pull the swing motor off the top of the gearbox with the hoses still attached, then operate the swing and see if oil falls out of the motor shaft seal. If it does then there's your answer.

uffex

Occupation
Admin
Good day Haymaker101
According to the schematic the case returns the fluid via the main filters, for sure in your shoes I would renew the elements. It maybe that you will need to replace the motor shaft seal, establish this by simply lifting the motor and observing if hydraulic fluid is passing the seal. (Nige you are faster at typing than me).
Kind reagrds
Uffex

Süleyman

Good morning guys,
I have a cat 307C excavator that keeps losing the swing gear oil out of the filler tube/dipstick which is roughly 8 inches tall. It holds .4 gallons going by the manual and during the course of running for a couple hours all the oil will come up out of the dipstick tube. Is there some type of breather vent? Thanks for the help

Hi Haymaker.
If I'm not mistaken, the swing gear oil is coming out of the filler tube
ın addition, Is the hydraulic oil level dropping? İf it drops than normal hydraulic level, We can say seal of swing motor/case drain line restriction or demage seals of swivel
Did you have the swing drive group overhauled recently? Because,
Some repairers put grease under the plenatary group to keep it from leaking oil. As the machine makes swing rotation, the grease rises and out the swing drive oil from the filler or vent pipe.
Thanks

Haymaker101

Morning everyone, I can only at 2-4 ounces of oil to swing motor and it comes up filler tube.
Done this 3 times.
This morning I pulled the drain plug and got 10 ounces of oil. Drained very slow because not much oil. When to refill and could only put 2-4 ounces of oil in without it overfilling.
What am I missing here? Manual calls for 40 ounces I believe.

Attachments

• 4D09D949-F9C8-4DB4-888D-E085D709BF46.jpeg
    4D09D949-F9C8-4DB4-888D-E085D709BF46.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
What year and how many hours do you have on the machine. According to the specalog for the machine from Cat, the swing gear box holds 1.5 liters of oil. That is about a quart and a half.

In my experience with swing gear boxes, they are all planetary units with very little room and no provision for cooling the oil. The oil will get warm and expand. The other issue is when filling the oil, it takes a lot of time for it to drain into the box and fill while expelling all the air caught under and around all that gearing. Draining and refilling the box takes time. The common issue while refilling is air burping up through the fill tube and making a mess. Then people pull the dipstick and assume it is full when it isn't. The other mistake is putting too much oil in the box figuring it will drop down some as it is used, and the box now expels the excess through the dipstick or the breather if it has one. Another issue happening on some machines is that the bottom bearing in the swing gear box may be lubed with grease and not the oil in the swing gear box. An operation and maintenance manual would let you know if that is the case in your machine.

A continuous flow of oil out of the breather or dipstick tube would indicate a leaking seal in the hydraulic motor which would force hydraulic oil into the swing gear box. It was mentioned above about the possibility of a case drain filter being plugged. No manufacturer that I have dealt with puts a case drain filter on the hydraulic motors. Cat puts a case drain filter on the hydraulic pumps. All case drains for the motors on machines that I have dealt with go to the machine return filters or the directly back to the tank.

Swing motors can be subject to very high pressures when the house is turning and then the control is moved to stop the turning. There are provisions in the motor to handle and vent that high pressure so that it doesn't damage the motor. A blown seal may be the result of a problem in that area of the motor. The motor itself may also have internal leakage on the seal plates or piston and barrel assembly that may cause high pressure in the motor case. If your motor is leaking into the gear box I would suggest a call to your local dealer asking if there are updates to that motor before going any farther. You might be able to unbolt and lift the motor out of the mount on the gear case and then use the machine hydraulics to turn the motor shaft and watch for a leak. Keep in mind though that with no load on the motor, it isn't likely to show a leak from the shaft.