• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 305e2 CR over temp fault

tycarp07

2017 Cat 305e2 throwing error codes E361(3) and E600(3) which are hydraulic over temp and engine coolant over temp. It throws these codes a bit after turning the key on even without cranking and when there's no possible way it's over temp since it has been sitting for a couple days. Alarm message says "engine fault shut down safely". Coolant temp gage reads in normal range and it'll even switch into warm up mode while the alarm is going off. Also choked down twice the time I used it before it started throwing these errors. It would fire up and run just fine right after tho.
I'm assuming it's just a sensor issue. Any pointers?
Vin: 0305EPH5M00343

Attachments

• PXL_20220417_205246877.jpg
    PXL_20220417_205246877.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 12

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Sounds like a bad connection in a sensor plug or harness connector somewhere. Here is the location of the coolant temp sensor on the engine...

upload_2022-4-20_16-37-49.png

I'm not seeing the hyd oil temp sensor anywhere on the schematic. For those looking it up this appears to be a Tier 4 Final common rail variant.
We don't see too many of these in the H5M s/n machines so hoping someone else can chime in.

Questions...
Is this an open cab or closed cab machine?
Have you checked fuses?

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
From your photo of the panel you will note that both the E361 & E600 Events are shown as (LOGGED) on the image.
That means they were there at some time in the past but they are not there right now.
If either of them were present the word (ACTIVE) would appear in parentheses after the E361/600.
It does not mean that the system was detecting an over-temperature at the time you turned on the key and took that photo.

The "engine fault shut down safely" message may or may not be related to the two above Events.
Also choked down twice the time I used it before it started throwing these errors.
Does this machine use just a DPF filter for exhaust aftertreatment.? I wonder out loud if the engine shutdown message was something to do with that.? How many total hours are on the machine.?

tycarp07

Does this machine use just a DPF filter for exhaust aftertreatment.? I wonder out loud if the engine shutdown message was something to do with that.? How many total hours are on the machine.?
I'm not sure on the DPF filter, I'll do some research. Just over 2,000 hrs.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Good point Nige.

We need to confirm that these are the actual codes active. We want to see both the E361(3) and E600(3) where I've circled. Once one code is active you should be able to hit any button and the screen will bring up the next active fault.
upload_2022-4-21_7-54-44.png

The monitor on your machine has the ability to monitor coolant temp and hyd temp itself, but I'm pretty sure your particular machine uses other ECMs and communicates these temps via data link. You also mentioned these codes appear "a bit after turning the key on even without cranking". Please check your fuses with a proper (non-LED) test light to confirm all your ECMs are powering up.

tycarp07

We need to confirm that these are the actual codes active. We want to see both the E361(3) and E600(3) where I've circled. Once one code is active you should be able to hit any button and the screen will bring up the next active fault.
View attachment 257788
It hasn't shown a window like that. It just shows a generic red text box over the home screen and says engine fault, shut down safely. I'll get a picture of it this afternoon.

How long have you had the machine.?
Is this the first time it has behaved like this..?
We've had it since december but have only put roughly 20 hours on it. First time it's done this. One thing I forgot to mention is earlier in the day before these alarms showed up, it told me to increase engine rpm. I usually run the throttle on 9, once I put it up to 10 the message went away. Not sure if that helps

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
We've had it since december but have only put roughly 20 hours on it. First time it's done this. One thing I forgot to mention is earlier in the day before these alarms showed up, it told me to increase engine rpm. I usually run the throttle on 9, once I put it up to 10 the message went away. Not sure if that helps
I am nowhere near being an expert on Tier 4 engines but that “increase engine rpm” message sounds suspiciously like exhaust after treatment-related to me. Everyone on here who posts about Tier 4 tells the same tale that to minimize potential DPF/DEF-related issues it is advised to run them flat out as much as possible. Apparently they do not like being run on low loads because it contaminates the after treatment package more rapidly.

From the Operation & Maintenance Manual regarding Regeneration Modes

Modes of Regeneration

Passive - Passive Regeneration occurs when the exhaust temperature is high enough for regeneration to occur. Passive regeneration may occur unnoticed by the operator. No operator action is required. Operating the machine above mid throttle and under load allows for passive regeneration during normal operation. Low idle and low load applications will have lower exhaust temperatures, where passive regeneration is not possible.

Active - An active regeneration is a late injection of fuel into the combustion chamber, which sufficiently raises the exhaust temperature for an active regeneration. The engine ECM uses multiple inputs from the engine to determine when an active regeneration is needed. All applications, even high load, will require active regenerations. However, active regeneration will not occur as frequently as low idle and low load applications

There will be a slight change in the exhaust noise during an active regeneration. Active regenerations may require increased engine speed. The active regeneration may take up to 30 minutes to complete.

Last edited:

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
It hasn't shown a window like that. It just shows a generic red text box over the home screen and says engine fault, shut down safely. I'll get a picture of it this afternoon.
Well that's a good thing. That could mean those events aren't active. A picture would be helpful... don't forget to press a button (any button) when the red alert displays to make sure we get all the active ones.

There's a small chance the E361(3) and E600(3) events could be a software issue, so if they're not causing the issue we can forget about them. Fairly sure you can access software information from your monitor... A pic or two of the software part numbers would help. "FFF2" is your code to get into the service menu.

Nige is spot on regarding the regen modes. Operating at higher RPMs promotes passive regen, which is what you want. If you can handle the extra fuel consumption, feel free to turn off your auto idle under "work mode" in the monitor.