• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 305CR tool valve flow rate change

Phil_C

Hello All
Is it possible to reduce the flow rate to the tool valve for the left pedal? I have just purchased a tilt bucket and the circuit is way too fast to be of any use. I can add flow controls to the bucket but thought I would check to see if the valves flow rate is adjustable. DGT series.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I've heard of people shimming the spool in the main valve to limit how much oil gets sent out and returns. I've also seen those needle type flow control valves in other machines. I don't remember there being any adjustable flow settings in the monitor panels on the CR series machines. Most were just a couple of gauges and indicator lights.

Phil_C

Thank you both for the replies. I have purchased two reverse free flow check valves today to install in the lines on the bucket. I think that is easier than shimming the valve and won't affect other tools used on the machine.

Regards

Phil

Phil_C

I installed the flow control valves but now I have another issue. When I use the valve it stalls the engine. It's like the load sense on the pump is being told to deliver full flow to that circuit despite what the demand is. Maybe I should have looked at limiting the travel of the foot valve.

John C.

Occupation
I've not had to work on the mini exs before but if they are like most of the rest of the Cat machines they are negative control systems. They have some load sensing on the NC line but not much. Generally the pump goes to maximum flow and regulation only comes in when pressure is high.

John C.

Occupation
If they are not a negative flow system, then let us know what kind of system they are. Solving a problem with a pat answer doesn't let us know how the system works so leaves us at a loss on how to troubleshoot it.

John C.

Occupation
Thanks Nige!
The schematic shows a four pump system with two high pressure piston and barrel groups, one medium pressure pump that supplies house rotation, boom swing and blade up. The last pump is a pilot pump. There is a control system that is not explained but apparently only controls the high pressure groups. My guess is that it is a pressure compensated system and yes it apparently shows the system is at max flow all the time until it reaches and set pressure when it moves to destroke the high pressure pumps. The valves all show as open center parallel passage. Maybe the book explains the control function better that the schematic?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I looked at the SysOp for the hydraulic system. It's all in bits & pieces everywhere - about 50 separate documents. Let me see if I can stitch something together in one document that hits all the relevant points.

Edit: It wasn't quite as difficult as I thought.

Attachments

• 305CR Hydraulic System.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Phil_C

Thank you very much for the information Nige. Looking through it there appears to be no adjustments that can be made to the hydraulic system to slow the speed down on the foot pedal. Looks like the only option is to shim the spool or put up with it:)

HydraulicGuy

Hi, I did this same thing to a 312 with a tilt bucket that was jerky. The check valve bypass needles worked great. Are your sure you have the checks going in the right direction? It sounds like they are restricting too much of the flow to the bucket.

HydraulicGuy

Hi, I did this same thing to a 312 with a tilt bucket that was jerky. The check valve bypass needles worked great. Are your sure you have the checks going in the right direction? It sounds like they are restricting too much of the flow to the bucket.

If I remember right. Which ever line is putting flow out I made sure to restrict it on the oil coming out of the other line. So I used “meter out flow control” not “meter in”

Phil_C

The flow control valves on a normal load sensing system should not make the pump load up. Cat use a different method to control load on the pump.

If I remember right. Which ever line is putting flow out I made sure to restrict it on the oil coming out of the other line. So I used “meter out flow control” not “meter in”

I used meter in but it should not make any difference to pump load. Normally meter out is used to control loads better but has the possibility of pressure intensification, meter in does not have pressure intensification but does not control the load as well.

Regards

Phil

John C.

Occupation
This machine does not have a load sensing system.