1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 304C Cr pump oil leak

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by hvguy, Oct 13, 2019 at 1:37 AM.

1. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

I was out digging some drainage ditches and ended up sinking my machine up to the exhaust in mud. The stupid intake hose design allowed the engine to suck in some water but not quite hydrolock. Got it started again, finally got the unit free and back to safety. Loading it on the trailer, I noticed a black puddle under it. Pulled the cover plate and it's coming from between the engine and pump. My first guess is rear main, but after driving it quite a ways, the oil level in the engine is fine, and this particular oil isn't hot? So it's the pump case oil?

1 Do these pumps have lubricant other than the hydraulic oil.
    2 What would cause this to fail after getting wet.

2. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Good day
    May have some internal damage maybe worth dropping the pan and having a look many engine have run with bent piston rod.
    Kind regards
    Uffex

3. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    I think the cavity between the pump and engine is a dry area with a pump drive coupling but probably full of dust and some seeping oil from pump or engine. If water got in there it would come out black. I wouldn’t be too concerned but keep an eye on oil levels.
    You will probably want to change engine oil in case it took on water.

4. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

But, does the hydraulic pump have a separate gearbox? And oil sump? Or is it like a normal pump that just flows hydraulic oil and that's all.

5. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

The bellhousing doesn't (usually) contain oil. Given your story I would be looking to see if the breather pipe is plugged. The crankcase may be pressurising and pushing oil past the rear main seal.

6. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

Genius! I'll check when I'm home. I'm out in the middle of nowhere and my 277b decided to split a drive hose. Woohoo!

7. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

Didn't leak for 30min, I put it to work digging a random hole for 20 min and no leaks, went to the front gate to meet pizza guy, came back and it's pouring. Checked blow by, no issues.

Pulled covers, pulled counterweights, drained hydraulic fluid, pulled pump, jacked up engine and pulled the bell housing, splined coupler, flywheel, THEN I see the rear main is leaking. Woo! Only took 5hrs lol. Ordered, it came in today.

Attached Files:

8. hvguy

hvguy Senior Member

Success! It would appear that when the machine went for a dip, some dirt and crud got between the 2 lips of the seal and wore it out.

IMG_20191016_131212.jpg IMG_20191016_131215.jpg