1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 304 Pins and Bushing Purchase

Discussion in 'Compact Excavators' started by MTNXTREME800, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Iron@Dirt

Iron@Dirt Senior Member

bought a 2012 304E 10 months ago and put bushings in the end of the stick. when the side of the bucket rubs against the stick it makes the separating line almost disapear. what year is yours?

Delmer likes this.
  2. MTNXTREME800

MTNXTREME800 Active Member

I think it's there, but thin and polished. Yes it has 2 one each end. It's all cleaned up, so I'll try the awl trick. Yes I definitely don't wanna try the torch or weld trick, yet !

3. ronbourd

ronbourd Member

what material are these bushings made of? Can a machinist make these bushings with 4130?

4. melli

melli Senior Member

No idea what the bushings are made of...definitely a alloy that can withstand some punishment. I heard of folks getting machinists to make pins (way easier to make), but bushings are another animal.
    As I noted on previous page, a light MIG weld in three spots was a game changer for me. The one thing I didn't mention, is the raised weld allowed me to use old pin as a punch, and pop the bushings out. Of course, making sure you have bushings first is helpful...

5. MTNXTREME800

So I used dry ice, worked real slick, I never would have gotten them in without, they were pretty tight. I used the three weld trick, worked good, also used the torch trick cutting a little line along the bushing, that worked better popped right out with a punch.

6. MTNXTREME800

Does anyone know how tight the bucket ears are supposed to be to the stick. I got about 3/8" inch space between them, if I slide the bucket tight to one side. The Cat parts guy told me there are no shims for the bucket. The only shims available are for the bigger pins.

7. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    The specs I've seen for 300 series are around 1mm (.040) Thats what I machine them to and I get no complaints.

8. MTNXTREME800

You machine shims to .040 thickness ? Or machine the ears on buckets so there is .040 clearance ? Wondering what the clearance between bucket ears and stick should be, I have abt. 3/8", I think it's too much, but maybe thats what it should be for some reason ?!? If they are meant to shim, why is the Cat parts guy telling me they don't make shims for the bucket pin, also my parts book shows no shims in that location !

9. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    I machine the bucket and stick to 1mm clearance. The proper clearance is not 3/8. You may get away with machining up a couple a 3/16 shims out of something decent but they never last as long as a proper machined fit.

MTNXTREME800 likes this.
  10. MTNXTREME800

hmmm, how about a couple of grade 8 washers with 1-9/16" ID to take up the slack ?

11. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

In practise the clearance needs to be as little as possible made up with shims as required. The reason you have 3/8" is probably because the boss in the end of the stick is worn, or the bucket, or a combination of both.

The parts book may not show shims, but there are probably some available in the correct size (or close enough) through the Cat parts system. It's just a matter of taking the time to look. I'll see what I can do.

mikebramel and MTNXTREME800 like this.
  12. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Your pins are 40mm, correct? Try some of these. Not all will be available, but some should be.

Shims.jpg

mikebramel likes this.
  13. MTNXTREME800

14. Iron@Dirt

Iron@Dirt Senior Member

on my year ago purchase thats at the camp. i ground the end of the stick as close to square as i could and bored holes in hard flat washers so there was enough surface to rub against. its not as good as machining the stick and bucket but alot easier and should extend life till bushings wear again.