• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 303CR glow plugs staying on

kjrmlr

Occupation
Self employed
I've got a no start conditon on my 303CR DMA 02017. The machine was run out of fuel (don't ask, I wasn't there when it happened). Filled with fuel, changed filters, bled injectors, and still no start. Pulled the glow plugs and found all 3 are dead. I put a test light on the feed and found constant 12v with the ignition switch on. I have a service manual which directs me to the location of the relay and timer, but unless you take the fuse panel out, or electronic timer module out, I don't see any way of getting to a relay if there is even one back there. Anybody have any experience with this? Am I even looking in the right place? Thanks in advance!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First thing an electrical schematic is on its way to you. Check your message.

The glow plug relay is located right next to the start relay in the console wiring group. "Some disassembly may be required" to access it. Ref #40 shown on Page 2.

Attachments

• Console Wiring Gp.pdf
    270.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

kjrmlr

Occupation
Self employed
Thank you! I actually have a factory service manual with the schematics. Man, that's one big centerfold! I bought the manual used, so maybe the section with more specifics regarding testing/removal/replacement is missing? All I see when I open that cover is the fuse panel and a Mitsubishi electronic timer module. Not sure if that is for the glow plugs or the shut down. I def do not see a glow plug relay. Could it be behind the fuse panel?

kjrmlr

Occupation
Self employed
Ah, gotcha. Thanks again. I'll be heading back over to the machine tomorrow to see what I can find.

kjrmlr

Occupation
Self employed
Just as a follow up, when I removed the timer, I found that a mouse had chewed through the casing and shorted it out. This resulted in the relay being activated constantly. Thankfully that's all he gnawed on. For some reason, there's no plate or screen under my heater, so that's where he got in. Replaced the timer, glow plugs and relay, and they're now working as they should. Next step is to ensure they don't get in there again. Thanks again for your help Nige!