1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 3000 Hour Code

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by Kenskip1, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Nige

Nige Senior Member

But that's not what we were talking about............ that's the cat, not the DPF.
    The DPF is available as a Reman Part Number. Try pricing 20R-8036

92U 3406 and Kenskip1 like this.
  2. 512high

512high Well-Known Member

Ah ha! Nige/Mark you are correct, MUCH better! $1,451.67 w/core ...$1,827.50 w/o my mistake. Look I didn't want to hijack the thread, but, the large CAT engines (100 hp and up) that use DEF Fluid, when something goes bad(meaning emission stuff, are the parts more expensive then my 908M that doesn't use DEF Fluid? I'm just asking as a general question, I learned a lot on this thread!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Kenskip1 likes this.
  3. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    Lots changed when they got to Tier 4 Final and the use of DEF. DEF makes it so they can run the exhaust temperatures up again making for fewer particulates, less NOX production and far less soot production. The recommendations for ash removal changed drastically when the DEF systems were added. I've been out of the Cat system for more than two and half years now so maybe someone can comment on the newer systems.

Kenskip1 likes this.
  4. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

C3.3B in the skid steer line does not use SCR as its under the HP threshold. The C3.8 in the 299D/272D has an SCR catalyst. To my knowledge, only those 2 models use the C3.8.

Kenskip1 likes this.
  5. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Some of the Cat engines have also been updated to delete the EGR system and rely on DEF and DPF/DOC to control the emissions

Kenskip1 and 512high like this.
  6. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

A step in the right direction IMO. Keep that emission crap off the engine.

7. Byron fellows

Byron fellows New Member

Wrench
    My cat dealer just informed me of a 3 week turn around if they do the dpf....engine removal filter removal filter sent to be put in an oven for a week filter returned then tractor reassembled

8. Nige

Nige Senior Member

As a matter of interest did they quote you a price..?

9. Byron fellows

Byron fellows New Member

Wrench
    No they did not just informed me of how long i would be without my machine.....

10. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Why not ask them, just for sh1ts & giggles.? I'd be interested how much the estimate would be compared to a Reman DPF unit.

Also get them to give you a detailed Parts breakdown of what they would put in it. It would be good info for anyone else who fancied a bit of DIY.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  11. Kenskip1

Kenskip1 Well-Known Member

Not to rub salt into the wound but how many hours are on the machine?

512high likes this.
  12. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

On a skid steer? What size? I can turn one of those around in under 2 days if I've got the new parts sitting on the bench.

13. 512high

* Did you say the engine has to come out? Maybe I miss read, if that is the case WTF!

Kenskip1 likes this.
  14. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I’d seen that too. Hence the comment about getting a detailed quotation for the work the dealer was proposing to do, in addition to a list of the parts involved.

15. 512high

Nige, Has to be wrong! At least on my 908M I can see the dam thing in my face, I never heard of a motor being pulled out to service that filter, but what do I know, agree, I would get things in writing regarding cost and so forth or seek an independent and maybe they would have CAT software to even reset code if required.....

Kenskip1 likes this.
  16. Nige

Nige Senior Member

But on a skid steer the space above the engine is much more limited. Never having worked on one with emissions equipment fitted I have no idea if there is enough space between the engine and the roof of the engine cover to both access the hardware necessary to free the DPF, and then to remove the DPF out of the bodywork. If I can find a photo showing the engine compartment with the rear door open I’ll post it up.

Kenskip1 likes this.
  17. 512high

my mistake, I didn't think about that, those engines are crammed in there!

Kenskip1 likes this.
  18. 92U 3406

92U 3406 Senior Member

I've done quite a few skid steer DPFs. I've always done it by going in from under the cab.

The way its bolted onto the back of the engine its virtually impossible to remove the DPF/DOC mounting bolts with the engine in. They go up from the bottom. If you pull the firewall out, you can sit under the cab and they're right there.

19. Tags

Tags Senior Member

I'm sorry, but some dealers are just absolute dicks...."well sir, you'll be without your machine for three weeks, sorry we didn't mention that to you when you bought it, just tell your customers to wait, I'm sure they'll understand, sounds like you should have planned a vacation...."

I'm sure that can't be right, any place that told me I'd be without the machine for three weeks because a serviceable part needs to be changed out would lose me as a customer immediately. What they told you just can't be right.....

John C., Kenskip1 and 512high like this.
  20. 512high

I have to agree, especially a CAT? I don't know if CAT provides "in house" cleaning ? I am located in NH, my nearest CAT dealer is 16 miles away, and it is HUGH new facility! (very impressive) Next time I stop by , I will have to ask if they provide that service or maybe they have an exchange program, but your point is valid .

Kenskip1 likes this.