• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D3 XE

Reuben Frazier

Can anyone help me with understanding what a step pump is and how it would de rate the motor into limp mode on a 299d3 without throwing a code?
I’ve been having nightmares with this new machine from one problem to the next and now I’m told it’s the step pump and it “MIGHT” be covered under warranty. This is a 2020 with 72 hours on it so I’m getting concerned with my CAT

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
With 72 hours and a 2020 machine, the only thing you wouldn't be covered for is if you broke it somehow.

Reuben Frazier

I’m not sure how you break a hydraulic pump unless it was damaged when the hydraulic line fell off last week and pumped all the oil out of it. I hate to talk negatively about CAT but they have some serious quality control issues now.

If anyone knows what a step pump is I’d honestly like to know,

mitch504

Are you sure they said "step pump"? I know what a stepper motor is, and it would make sense, since it controls the throttle.

A 2020, with 72 hrs, I would look to them to fix it, unless you dropped it off a truck.

Welder Dave

Charge pump maybe? What caused the hyd. line to fall off? 72 hours and might be covered by warranty? Get the dealer to fix it or give you another machine ASAP. Sounds like they never did the pre delivery inspection (PDI). It's an expensive machine so don't mess with it yourself.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
On other forums owners are getting out of them PDQ. Seems they are junk.

Reuben Frazier

He said step pump and I asked again and he repeated himself so I’m really confused as to what he actually meant. But I did take it in and they supposedly fixed it “It Was In Limp Mode” drove 35 miles back only to unload it to go 10 feet and it was still in limp mode so I return it again and then I’m told about the step pump. Who knows, all I know is I’m getting frustrated and tired of wasting my time and money.
The hose came loose from under the cab somewhere and leaked the oil out so I had to fill it back up with $240 worth of oil to load it onto the trailer and my oil leaked out on the way to the shop so even tho they fixed the hose I was out $240 that I didn’t recoup and they didn’t even wash the 20 gallons of oil mess from under the cab which I never complained about I just spent half a day cleaning it up.
I’m not sure of the long term outcome of this machine but I’m getting very close to saying it’s my last CAT product which I’m certain they could care less about.

Side note I didn’t mention it loosing power while loading a trailer and having to remove the back glass to get out of the thing and it breaking costing another $300. Turns out the battery cable was loose, fun fun times

mitch504

And you bought new so you wouldn't have to work on it....

I'd be making it their problem, one way or another

Welder Dave

A loose hose under the cab on a new machine from Cat no less? If it pumped the hyd. oil out could have potentially damaged something. I'd want the money for the oil back and be on their case for a new replacement machine. I'd go to Cat cooperate if the dealer won't step up to the plate. I'm not sure what the machine cost but I'd guess not too far from 100K. Loose battery cables and hoses, I'd stop all payments and demand a replacement machine with a proper PDI. This is worse than a severely abused used machine with a Dupont overhaul.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
An owner on another forum has just posted his machine has done 52 hours in a year. It's spent most of it's life in the workshop and they have given him a loaner. IMO if Caterpillar was proper they should have replaced it or given him his money back.

Reuben Frazier

I’m going to see what happens Monday and make a decision as to how ticked off I’m going to get finally get. Am I out of line to be upset?

Welder Dave

You're not out of line to want a different machine or your money back! It's not a $500 beater you bought. GF bought what supposed to be a premium used car from a dealer. Wanted to go on about a 400 mile trip so took it in to have some thought to be minor issues looked at. They said everything was fine and not to worry. She got about 40 minutes out of town and stranded on the side of the road. Had to get a tow truck and the driver was more than happy to oblige where she wanted it dropped off... right in front of the main doors to the dealership so they had to move it before they could even open the doors. Try to be nice and see what they'll do. If that doesn't work raise cain.

Welder Dave

110K, WOW! Get a new machine or cancel the deal!!! What are they going to do, sue you for their own incompetence? No excuse for sending a new machine out with loose hoses and battery cables.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I doubt CAT will swap you out with what has been written so far, maybe if the pump thing goes completely sideways that would help. Unfortunately sometimes regardless of how much you pay, and who makes it, things happen and the product isn't what the buyer or the OEM had hoped it would be. Clearly the machine wasn't right when it left the factory and perhaps the PDI wasn't thorough enough to catch some of that. This is/was an opportunity for the dealer to make themselves look very good, and done right you likely would never buy from anywhere else again (because in a shitty situation they had your back). Doesn't sound like they are taking advantage of that chance to prove themselves. Too bad for everyone.

Couple things I would try and negotiate:

Swap the machine out: Sure, why not try, kudos if that can happen but I think you will need a longer laundry list to see that through.

More realistically, I would make Cat or the dealer back your machine with a substantial bumper to bucket warranty. Zero deductible, and a loaner machine of equal size while repairs are made. Depending on how hard you want to drive the deal, the pickups and drop offs take time and money from you, I would consider that asstax as well, and decide what its worth.

If there are other machines in a similar situation, CAT may have a problem with production of these new machines. Now days an OEM cant keep those things a secret. Maybe they will do something for all those who bought these early production machines and are having problems. History would say they wont, but who knows.

The last thing I would say is $110K for a 299D3 seems like an awful lot of money. I totally see why your pissed, hopefully your dealer does as well.

Welder Dave

Maybe if they fix it and give a free extended warranty. They should be completely steam cleaning it as well. Who knows if any damage was done when it pumped the hyd. oil out. If other machines also have problems maybe the lemon law applies? That's a lot of money to be having problems with quality control issues from the get go. If I read right I think the OP has some other Cat machines as well so seems like the dealer would want to keep him as a customer. Even with 1 machine the dealer should want to keep a customer happy. If the dealer won't do anything by all means contact Cat directly. It certainly helped in the most infamous thread ever on this forum.

big ben

Ok so it’s not adding up....
When was the machine bought ? (Month and year please).

if it’s under 1 year and and not abuse , neglect or Operator damage it will warranty. Not sure all the confusion. If I spent 110G I’d know my warranty and what’s covered. If not go into the local the dealer and get more details. Saying a 2020 Cat step motor is not covered is not doing justice.

Reuben Frazier

What’s not adding up? It was purchased at the end of 19 and never left my shop due to an injury the day after purchasing it until 3 weeks ago and it’s been a turd ever since. I know very well what the warranty is, matter of fact I bought an extended warranty as well as a service plan where they will come to me to service the machine on site since the dealer is 60 miles away.
The service manager told me the step pump not the step motor might be under warranty, not sure what the lack of conviction is but I’m going by what I was told.

Welder Dave

I think what big ben is referring to is... WHY ISN'T THE DEALER FIXING YOUR BRAND NEW MACHINE 110K MACHINE? Unless you drove over a nail and got a flat tire pretty much everything else should be covered by warranty. GET ON THEIR CASE!