• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299d3 xe won’t rev

Marekk2491

Bought a brand new 299d3 with prinoth mulching head. Machine ran great for 2-3 hours and now won’t rev past 1200 rpm. It seems as if it’s electronically limited. Any idea on what would cause this? It had an alert for intake gas temperature below normal since I picked it up but ran fine for awhile prior to the issue. I’ve tried clearing the code on the display and it made no difference. I’m hoping I didn’t buy junk.

Marekk2491

As follows.

Attachments

• EB5E0AC3-07BC-4FB4-A3BF-A96213F0C00A.jpeg
    EB5E0AC3-07BC-4FB4-A3BF-A96213F0C00A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
  • 86AC9A45-85DD-428F-9FD1-98D3FA184BA4.jpeg
    86AC9A45-85DD-428F-9FD1-98D3FA184BA4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
More on the conditions that generate the advisory you are seeing. And thinking about your other fault, I would say it is highly likely that the temperature sensor that is showing the fault code has a direct input to controlling the engine RPM when the machine is "cold". Fix the SCR temp sensor fault and your limited engine RPM issue should also go away IMHO.

..........this feature also includes a warm-up period in cold start conditions. This feature limits the engine speed to certain RPMs for a short duration based on coolant temperature. This event is normal and designed to protect vital engine components. See Table 4.
upload_2020-11-16_13-42-1.png

Attachments

• SCR Catalyst Inlet Temp.pdf
    209 KB · Views: 12

Marekk2491

Thank you. Can u set temp sensor “quality flag to false” without bringing to the dealer? Am I understanding it correctly that this would by pass the sensor for now?

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Its brand new with 4-5hrs on it? if so why are you even messing with it. the Dealer should be getting the problem resolved. At least our local cat dealer would be.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Its brand new with 4-5hrs on it? if so why are you even messing with it. the Dealer should be getting the problem resolved. At least our local cat dealer would be.
I missed that. In that case the first call should be to the dealer along the lines of "sort this f'kin thing out pronto".

In case the salesman doidn't tell you these engines need to be run hard all the time, and not treated with kid gloves, if you want to avoid problems with the exhaust aftertreatment system.

Marekk2491

That was the first call. Like anything else it’s less about the cost of repair and more about down time. If they couldn’t get to it for a week I was going to have to fix it myself. They fixed it up.