• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D2 HPX AC problems

PlowBoy_TX

This has been driving me nuts. I have a CAT 299D2 HXP that the AC was working, then just stopped.
The compressor clutch kicks in for less than 2 seconds and kicks out.
Here is what i have replaced.

*Wiring harness from compressor/relay/pressure stitches to under cab.
*All controls on the operator panel. Thermostat / Switch / Fan speed selector.
*New relay.
They all had some type of damage so i just replaced them.
I tested the pressure switches and they tested fine.
I checked freon level and its perfect.
If i jump across the relay plug, the compressor runs and cools so i swapped the new relay out for another new one and nothing. What am i overlooking?

ahart

What do the pressure gauges read when the compressor kicks out? I would have to assume it’s only doing what it’s told to do.

PlowBoy_TX

With a jumper on the relay plug and compressor running im getting 147 high and 31 on low side.
without the jumper, the compressor is only on for a spilt second and the gauges cant respond that fast.

Arny L

If system operates, when relay jumped, it sounds like you are missing the ground side of relay, or a 12v input to that relay, Depending on how its wired, most are ground switched, ECM controlled. But it could have continuous ground, ECM switched 12v.