• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299D2 Cranks, Won't start

Jakob Bailey

Hi guys, I’m an idiot with diesels.. especially with these new CAT tier4… these filters were eventually replaced by me after …… local CAT dealer recommended replacing the engine due to 3 cylinders having low compression(did not get the actual psi readings from their diagnosis) and was leaking past the rings. I pulled the engine to put new rings in it and never actually confirmed their diagnosis because I’m stupid.. when I got to the pistons/rings… rings looked great. Cylinder walls had great cross hatchings(machine has 1500 total hrs) didn’t look like that was my actual problem and began suspecting this wouldn’t fix it…Well it didn’t fix it. Still a crank-no-start…next- I see these filters and replace them/clean bowl. Transfer pump fills bowl very fast but new filters have picked up what I believe is rust... I removed solenoid from top of HPFP and found the coil spring beneath had rusted and came apart. I was able to get a solenoid and spring off another engine. Still a crank no start. I haven’t had any actual codes set except engine speed sensor #2 data invalid/erratic.

Jakob Bailey

I never adjusted/removed anything with timing during all of this(left injection pump bolted to engine during repair) the above picture was after putting engine @ cylinder #4 TDC(flywheel marking 1 TC to its notch) I spun to that mark over and over and it was always one tooth off… also when I had the front cover off, the crank-idler-cam gear markings would never all line up together(always checking at the 1-TC mark on flywheel housing)

Jakob Bailey

Basically during tear down, before pistons had been removed, when I got the front cover off I began trying to set engine to #4 TDC for teardown—why is CAT stupid and require #4 @ TDC in all its repair info for this engine when it’s always #1 TDC???? Any help is appreciated guys..

Jakob Bailey

I feel so stupid for just jumping on their diagnosis and recommended repair‍♂️‍♂️ this has been an ordeal, I’m a small business owner/mobile mechanic, this customer was wanting to avoid the local CAT dealers $30k diagnosis/engine replacement since they won’t rebuild and just have me replace rings etc… had to purchase CAT adapter 3 and ET Version 2020a online though so that’s cool..

Jakob Bailey

I didn’t own CAT ET until after the “repair” didn’t fix and didn’t even know about PSR’s until reading this thread…. So sorry I don’t have that..

Jakob Bailey

Also wanted to let you guys know. With my 299D2. It will run on ether, also my actual fuel rail pressure is and will exceed desired fuel rail pressure. I will try to get back over to machine and get a picture of the fuel usage data PID group while cranking engine

Jakob Bailey

This thread has been a huge help and understanding this machine so wanted to thank you all for that. Any response and help is again very appreciated.

farmkid16_2002

Occupation
Diesel Tech, Welder Fabricator
Theese new fuel systems are Soo tight tolerances a little bit of water or dirt will wipe them out FAST! Essential to have clean fuel. Have done a few with gas being poured in the system and wiping pumps and injectors out fast also.
Save your old fuel lines and make caps out of them, then you can cap off the rail and see if pump builds pressure, eliminated fuel injectors as with the 299 injectors suck to replace under valve cover. Top fuel pressure relief is up to 30,000 psi now on these fuel systems so be careful but cautious.