1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 299D2 Cranks, Won't start

Discussion in 'Track Loaders' started by david_, May 8, 2022.

1. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Which would be really easy to do while the engine was out.....

2. david_

david_ Member

Ok understand.

When I found the sludge in the fuel filter canister I did drain and attempt to flush out the fuel tank, but it probably wasn't very effective. This is why I believe the actual fuel level to be about 3/4 because of what I put back (after filtering), rather than almost empty as it displays. I'll try and pull the sender today.

I'll pull the rail and polish the overpressure seat better this weekend. The overpressure solenoid is not a separate part you can order from the fuel rail, understandably because of the seat in the rail. But still the rail is $1,400. I'm trying to not think about how much the HPFP would cost. More than the machine is worth?

Luckily I did pull a PSR before I cleared the codes. Attached.

Attached Files:

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    I don't think that was necessarily a good move. The old fuel should really have been used for another purpose and replaced with new fuel IMHO.

mg2361 and david_ like this.
  4. david_

david_ Member

You're right.

Have the sending unit out and there doesn't seem to be sludge. It moves freely. I was mistaken about the fuel level, it is almost empty. It was months ago so I guess I took the old fuel to recycling.

I'm in the process of removing the fuel rail to better polish the seat.

5. david_

david_ Member

Oh, for the second polishing of the fuel rail, it's not looking so good.

After much work with the fine grit it went from being 'grindy' to absolutely smooth. I thought I was hot sh*t. Then I had a look at it cleaned:
    [​IMG]

This was the clearest shot I could get but it definitely did not look 'polished'. I got out my high-mag Coils and there are clearly striations around the seat. Checking the bronze plug, same thing.

So assuming the seat is brass, which it looks like, then it will be softer than the bronze plug, which evidently had the striations from the course grit.

It is definitely improved from before but only a fraction of the surface will be in contact with the solenoid plate. Maybe I should ask the machine shop to re-mill the plug. I don't understand why they wouldn't take a mil or so off the seat; maybe I shouldn't have told them how much the part costs. DOH!

Last edited: May 14, 2022