• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D won't move

Jeffrey Bandel

I am also getting the #12 warning as well. It is amber and solid--which according to the manual is the Air Cleaner Indicator. I pulled out the air filter and it wasn't in bad shape--installed new in May so it has about 40 hours on it.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
It may be the sensor wiring rather than the filter itself. Without looking I'm not sure whether that machine has an atmospheric pressure sensor on it and intake restriction (what puts the light on) is measured relative to that. You'd have to trace it via the schematic to figure out if it's a single sensor or something more complex. If the latter you basically have to go through all the wiring connections from both the APS and the intake manifold sensor right back to the ECM.

With all these potential wiring connection issues now may be the time to consider applying Senson grease & amalgamating tape over the electrical connectors, especially the critical ones. http://sensontek.com.au/

Last edited:

Jeffrey Bandel

This is a stretch: I just flushed out the cooling system and put ELC/Distilled in it. After doing this, the current problem started. If the number 12 warning light goes to red it indicates high coolant temp. Right now it is amber. Any chance I have a problem there?

Jeffrey Bandel

I'll check it tomorrow. Today I ran it for about 30 minutes. It was fine until the 30th minute when the parking brake came on and stopped it. I turned it back on put it away.

Jeffrey Bandel

Got the track back on. It wasn't that hard. I let all the grease pressure out, lifted it up, pulled the track a little, greased the fitting until the tension was correct, put it back down, drove it about thirty feet and the pressure was gone and it was sagging like I never greased it. Is that normal? Do I need to put more grease in?

ih100

I took this tensioner/recoil out of a 299 a few weeks back. The rod had unscrewed from the tensioner and let the spring go. If you open the plate you can see the spring and the rod, if the rod has unscrewed the track won’t tension properly.0224CB79-E0D4-4E7C-8BC0-CADEFD401070.jpeg

BigWrench55

When adjusting track tension especially when you released the tension. You will pump it up and then travel forward a few feet. Then check your tension again and adjust accordingly.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Got the track back on. It wasn't that hard. I let all the grease pressure out, lifted it up, pulled the track a little, greased the fitting until the tension was correct, put it back down, drove it about thirty feet and the pressure was gone and it was sagging like I never greased it. Is that normal? Do I need to put more grease in?
Not uncommon. It's hard to get a track tensioned correctly at the first attempt. Usually you have to tension, move back and forward a couple of yards in a straight line, and re-tension. Repeat as many times as necessary until the track sag is in the specified range.

ih100

Think we posted at the same time. Have you tightened the valve since letting the grease out?

ih100

Be aware, the scenario I showed above isn’t uncommon on these machines. Did you have a job to get the track off? If you did, check the rod as I said, and definitely get hold of the recoil mechanism rework instruction from SIS. Nige will probably be able to help with this.