• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D won't move

Jeffrey Bandel

I was poking around on the passenger side and found this"connection" from the speed sensor. It was wrapped in electrical tape. Looks like someone worked on it. I'll fix it correctly. The other side has what I'll call "flexible protective conduit" around the wires. It is braided and hefty. Does anyone know what it is called or where I can get it?0804191325[1].jpg

Attachments

• 0804191324[1].jpg
    0804191324[1].jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 9

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
upload_2019-8-4_15-21-38.png

You mean this stuff..? It's factory original but not sold separately to a harness AFAIK under its own Part Number. No idea where you might get it.

To "fix" that harness break correctly you have to remember that the signals from the speed sensors are of the PWM variety and not very tolerant of high-resistance crimped connections.
Look up Cat P/N's 115-8109, 8T-8729, & 8T-8730. You'd need four of each, plus get hold of a good crimp tool to crimp the pins on to the wires. Probably about $20 the lot for the parts.

Just thinking there was another thread about someone who was having trouble with speed sensor wiring on a 299D. Maybe you should consider that upgrade also..? https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-299d-skid-steer-speed-sensors.78067/

Last edited:

Nige

The harness protection kit is Part Number 485-4342. No idea of price. Installation instructions attached.

Attachments

• SEHS0385 - SSL Spd Sensor Prot Kit.pdf
    847.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SEHS0582-01 - Spd Snsr Template LH.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 5
  • SEHS0583-01 - Spd Snsr Template RH.pdf
    10.7 KB · Views: 6

Nige

Just a thought. Did you move the machine after repairing the harness..?
The reason I ask is, like most speed sensor issues, the ECM keeps the Diagnostic Code "active" until it receives a "good" signal from the sensor. You can fix the breaks in the wires but unless you move the machine and give the ECM chance to receive a good signal the Diagnostic Code will not change from Active to Logged. Once it is Logged the symptoms ought to go away - if indeed it was a fault with that sensor that caused the problem in the first place.

Nige

Back to going through the troubleshooting procedures from Post #38 then, I would have thought to start with the two sensors on the LH side since that's where you found the damaged wiring.
I hope you have a digital multimeter, you'll need one.

Jeffrey Bandel

It sure would be nice to know the codes to narrow down my efforts. It won't help me now, but someone mentioned earlier about upgrading to a diagnostic module. Is this possible and is there an estimated cost?

Nige

If you look at the procedure for both FMI02 & FMI08 it is the same. Therefore you only have to perform one test on each side of the machine.

Regarding upgrading to the Diagnostic Module, refer to post #31 on Page 2. Cost about $1000. Be aware that it's not plug & play, it has to be configured using ET.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Bandel

I worked on the machine yesterday. The left side was not getting 8volts. I found a break in the harness on the left side. That didn't fix the problem either. It moved about 15 feet and then locked up again. Now the parking brake is locked in. It doesn't matter what I do, I cannot turn it off.

I have a question on the service manual relative to testing the motor speed sensor. When testing the harness it says "Measure the voltage from Yellow and White". It should be 8V. On both sides I get 7.9 volts on the yellow wire and nothing on the white wire. It looks like the white wire is an 8V return, so it shouldn't test out with voltage when unplugged???

Nige

You're not checking the correct way.
With the sensor unplugged and the key on you should have the +ve lead of the DMM on the yellow (+8V from ECM) wire and the -ve lead of the DMM on the white (ECM return) wire. It is that circuit you are testing, not 8v to frame ground.

Last edited:

Jeffrey Bandel

That's the circuit I'm testing. Here is exactly what the manual says "At the machine harness for the sensor, measure the voltage. Measure the voltage from contact 1 (wire P769-YL (Yellow)) AND contact 2 (wire P770-WH(White))."

I read this as ground the multimeter and then test voltage from the yellow and white. Are you saying the AND from the instructions should read to?

Nige

Yes indeedy. Maybe the text is not 100% clear but if you consider the mini-schematic at the start of the procedure it makes perfect sense. The 8V+ supply from the ECM is not shown as returning via machine frame ground - it returns back to the ECM via wire P770 White to complete the circuit.
Maybe this sketch will help. It shows the sensor disconnected. Red & Black are the + & - cables of your DMM.

upload_2019-8-6_10-29-20.png

The for the next step in the Procedure install a jumper between pin #3 & Pin #4 on the sensor connector. Then disconnect Connector J2 at the machine ECM and do a continuity test from Pin #29 on connector J2 through the harness via your jumper and back to Pin #37.

Last edited:

Nige

Yes. Each connector requires a 4mm Allen Key if I'm not mistaken. The screws are captive in the connector, as you unscrew them the connector will separate from the ECM.
Give everything a good clean with aerosol electrical contact cleaner while you're in there.