• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D won't move

Jeffrey Bandel

I had a chance to look at the machine today. It's embarrassing, but I can't find the soft key. I have is a screen on the driver side which shows warning lights. It doesn't appear to be interactive.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
if you don't have this screen on the right hand side you do not have access to the diagnostics for the machine
upload_2019-7-30_7-8-47.png

DozerTech78

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Tech
I don't have that screen. I guess that puts me back to square one.

You have the “Basic” display with one gauge (fuel) and 6 buttons to the right, correct? The DPF lamp which is illuminated (as you have stated) generally means the machine is in regen but can also indicate a fault in the aftertreatment system.. its possible that the machine is derating itself due to an active fault for the aftertreatment system

When you experience the issue are you able to throttle up at all?

Just trying to gain some insight

Jeffrey Bandel

You have the “Basic” display with one gauge (fuel) and 6 buttons to the right, correct? The DPF lamp which is illuminated (as you have stated) generally means the machine is in regen but can also indicate a fault in the aftertreatment system.. its possible that the machine is derating itself due to an active fault for the aftertreatment system

When you experience the issue are you able to throttle up at all?

Just trying to gain some insight
Yes on the display.
It will start up and idle fast or slow. When I start to travel, I can only go somewhere between 6 inches and 3 feet. At that point, the machine just stops traveling and the parking light comes on. It is still running but won't move. Hitting the parking brake light does nothing. If I shut it off and turn it back on the same thing happens. It took me about 15 restarts to go about 10 feet.

BigWrench55

Nige will know best. But I believe that you have a tier 4 and not a tier 4 final. If you are not using def fluid for this machine, then you have just tier4. In that case your machine is in derate and most likely you will need to force regen the dpf. This can only be done through cat ET.

Mark250

Occupation
here is some info that may be of interest
even thought you have emissions warnings and the machine will go into derate. I don't believe that is the cause of the machine coming to a complete stop.
there are two areas that will cause your problems apart from the interlock areas mentioned in an earlier post
throttle position sensor out of calibration there is a sevice letter for this concern
and faults with unintended motor speed either way you need CAT ET to diagnose and calibrate
upload_2019-8-1_7-22-9.pngupload_2019-8-1_7-23-27.png
upload_2019-8-1_7-24-52.pngupload_2019-8-1_7-25-42.png

Last edited:

Mark250

Occupation
here is explanation of motor speed faults

Attachments

• 299d motor speed unexpected.pdf
    140.4 KB · Views: 21

heymccall

I wonder??? Can that machine be retrofitted with a display monitor, like the 568-2041 kit?
I know it's a $1000, but, what's the cost of 2 road calls?

Jeffrey Bandel

My gut says speed sensor, as it locks you out only after moving 6 inches. There is one on each drive, IIRC.

I tend to agree. However the repair manual states if the alert is flashing: "A sensor on the machine may be faulted or has come unplugged. For tracked machines, check that the wiring to the drive motor speed sensor wiring is not damaged."
Mine isn't flashing though.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Yep, that's it. You really need the Electrical Schematic..... I'll be in touch.
Each of those assemblies is actually two sensors. The four wires are: - a signal wire for each of the two sensors (green & white), a common power wire (red), & a common ground wire (black). This power comes from the machine ECM so it is NOT battery power. It's actually 8v DC stabilized.
Now if the assumption is that there is a sensor fault and because no Diagnostic Codes available therefore we don't know which sensor (#1 or #2, left or right side) may be giving the problem then there are four of them to diagnose.

There are two possibilities for each sensor. An FMI02 Code (Data Erratic, Intermittent, or Incorrect) or an FMI08 Code (Abnormal Frequency, Pulse Width, or Period).

So basically you're going to have to repeat each of the two procedures four times to be able to troubleshoot the speed sensors on both sides of the machine.

Below are the Troubleshooting Procedures in respect of the LH #1 Speed sensor. The procedures for the other three sensors are exactly the same but the wire numbers (for the signal wires) will change - that's why you need the Electrical Schematic...….

Attachments

• CID2685-FMI02.pdf
    422.9 KB · Views: 19
  • CID2685-FMI08.pdf
    420.8 KB · Views: 14