• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D won't move

Jeffrey Bandel

New problem: It won't turn over. The battery is new and charged. It just makes a click when you try to start it. I assume I have a bad starter and or starter solenoid. The starter looks buried and hard to get to. The manual says take the battery out first. Is the starting solenoid on the starter or located somewhere else?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Solenoid is mounted right on the starter motor. Tip: If you look at the electrical schematic in the table of components it will give the machine location of any particular part.
I would say that most likely you have a bad connection somewhere in the battery/starter wiring. Just go methodically through every cable connection (esp. the grounds) until you find "the one" that makes it go again......

Jeffrey Bandel

My manual says the start relay is on the left rear of the chassis. I think that is wrong. If found this relay on the right rear chassis. Is it the starter relay?1024191012.jpg 1024191012.jpg

BigWrench55

A quick way to find out is to jump the wires going to pole 30 which is battery and pole 87 which will be the load. In this case the starter. If you jump those two wires and it's indeed the start relay then your starter will engage. Make sure that you are not near any moving parts when doing this. You have the wiring schematic so I would just check it by the wire color and number.

Jeffrey Bandel

If I remove the hot 12v wire going to the starter from the battery and touch the other post on the solenoid with that wire it fires up. I do not get any voltage to the white wire on the solenoid when cranking. So I'm trying to figure out where the relay is that the white wire goes to. I think it is the one in the picture but I'm not sure.

Jeffrey Bandel

Thanks. You and I are right. My manual is wrong.
I removed the white lead that provides 12V to the solenoid. I hooked up a wire directly to that lead and the positive terminal of the battery with the key on. The solenoid just clicks. Can you buy just the solenoid or do I have to fork out $600 for the whole starter assembly?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Thanks. You and I are right. My manual is wrong.
I removed the white lead that provides 12V to the solenoid. I hooked up a wire directly to that lead and the positive terminal of the battery with the key on. The solenoid just clicks. Can you buy just the solenoid or do I have to fork out $600 for the whole starter assembly?
Have you tested to see if there is 12 volts on the output of the solenoid (item #6) when you have it clicking? Two things need to be good for starter to crank engine, the solenoid and the motor of the starter. I would hate to see you buy a new solenoid and mount it only to find the real problem was in the starter motor!

Jeffrey Bandel

I picked this up at the dealer yesterday. The CAT tech said it is plug and play. I hope it works and allows me to read codes. Anyone have any pointers for installation?

Attachments

• Cat.jpg
    Cat.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29

Jeffrey Bandel

Just when I thought I had things working, the right track came completely off in the worst place possible. It gave me no warning. After a day and a half of lifting and moving I got the track back on.
When I greased it, nothing happened. I assume that is because the piston ring has failed?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I think I would put a barrel Anfo under that thing, invite your neighbors and spread CAT poop everywhere by now. Your patience is inspiring.

Jeffrey Bandel

Here is the track adjuster out. What would be my next step? I think someone said the threaded rod might have worked it's loose. I also heard I shouldn't take the castle nut off because the spring was under tension.
1125191449a.jpg