1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT 299D won't move

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by Jeffrey Bandel, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Jeffrey Bandel

Jeffrey Bandel Well-Known Member

I have tension now. I had to move it 4 or five times and grease in between but it looks like it is holding.

2. Jeffrey Bandel

New problem: It won't turn over. The battery is new and charged. It just makes a click when you try to start it. I assume I have a bad starter and or starter solenoid. The starter looks buried and hard to get to. The manual says take the battery out first. Is the starting solenoid on the starter or located somewhere else?

3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Solenoid is mounted right on the starter motor. Tip: If you look at the electrical schematic in the table of components it will give the machine location of any particular part.
    I would say that most likely you have a bad connection somewhere in the battery/starter wiring. Just go methodically through every cable connection (esp. the grounds) until you find "the one" that makes it go again......

4. Jeffrey Bandel

The cables seem ok. The manual shows a starter relay. Do you know where it is located?

5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Area A - Item #16 - Start Relay
    upload_2019-10-18_12-48-41.png
    upload_2019-10-18_12-49-19.png

6. Jeffrey Bandel

My manual says the start relay is on the left rear of the chassis. I think that is wrong. If found this relay on the right rear chassis. Is it the starter relay? 1024191012.jpg 1024191012.jpg

7. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

A quick way to find out is to jump the wires going to pole 30 which is battery and pole 87 which will be the load. In this case the starter. If you jump those two wires and it's indeed the start relay then your starter will engage. Make sure that you are not near any moving parts when doing this. You have the wiring schematic so I would just check it by the wire color and number.

8. Jeffrey Bandel

If I remove the hot 12v wire going to the starter from the battery and touch the other post on the solenoid with that wire it fires up. I do not get any voltage to the white wire on the solenoid when cranking. So I'm trying to figure out where the relay is that the white wire goes to. I think it is the one in the picture but I'm not sure.

9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

See my post #185 above. Area A is the RH side of the chassis.
    Just to give you a bit more context, it's close to the backup alarm (circled)
    upload_2019-10-24_18-56-11.png

10. Jeffrey Bandel

Thanks. You and I are right. My manual is wrong.
    I removed the white lead that provides 12V to the solenoid. I hooked up a wire directly to that lead and the positive terminal of the battery with the key on. The solenoid just clicks. Can you buy just the solenoid or do I have to fork out $600 for the whole starter assembly?

11. Nige

Nige Senior Member

According to the Parts Manual the "Magnetic Switch" #6 is available separately - Part Number 389-5269

upload_2019-10-24_21-16-28.png

12. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Have you tested to see if there is 12 volts on the output of the solenoid (item #6) when you have it clicking? Two things need to be good for starter to crank engine, the solenoid and the motor of the starter. I would hate to see you buy a new solenoid and mount it only to find the real problem was in the starter motor!

Nige likes this.
  13. Jeffrey Bandel

It was the solenoid. It starts. Now I have the other problems to figure out.

14. Jeffrey Bandel

I picked this up at the dealer yesterday. The CAT tech said it is plug and play. I hope it works and allows me to read codes. Anyone have any pointers for installation?

Attached Files:

• Cat.jpg
      Cat.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  15. Nige

Nige Senior Member

What Part Number is that Monitor.? Is it part of a 568-2041 Instrument Panel Kit by any chance.?
    If it is, and you'd like the installation instructions, please PM me your email address again.

16. Jeffrey Bandel

17. Jeffrey Bandel

Just when I thought I had things working, the right track came completely off in the worst place possible. It gave me no warning. After a day and a half of lifting and moving I got the track back on.
    When I greased it, nothing happened. I assume that is because the piston ring has failed?

18. KSSS

KSSS Senior Member

excavation
    I think I would put a barrel Anfo under that thing, invite your neighbors and spread CAT poop everywhere by now. Your patience is inspiring.

Mother Deuce and hosspuller like this.
  19. Jeffrey Bandel

Here is the track adjuster out. What would be my next step? I think someone said the threaded rod might have worked it's loose. I also heard I shouldn't take the castle nut off because the spring was under tension.
    1125191449a.jpg

20. Jeffrey Bandel

Exactly.