• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D won't move

Jeffrey Bandel

I have a 2016 299D. It starts up fine and all the hydraulics work. I can move about 6 inches and then the parking light comes on and it won't move anymore. If I restart it, the same thing happens. Any ideas? It would be nice to be able to put it onto the trailer to haul to the dealer and get the codes read.

BigWrench55

Could be your seat switch, armrest, or door switch. Also the solenoid for the parking brake could be breaking down and shorting out. Someone with more knowledge of where these switches and solenoids are located should be along shortly. In the meantime post the serial number so that they can help you faster. Welcome to HEF.

Jeffrey Bandel

As above - S/No first and foremost......15 different models of 299D to choose from.
Second, does any other fault light come on when the Parking brake light illuminates..?
Yes. The Engine Emission System light. And also the number 12 indicator is always on red--which is Oil pressure and Coolant temperature-- I should point out that when this came on it would run fine. I didn't run it much, just a little very light work.

Numbfingers

Occupation
mechanic
You can get the codes through the monitor. Can't recall exactly how but I think you hold down two arrow buttons at the same time.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
To access menus, follow the instructions below. They are in the Operator Manual - I take it you don't have one..?

Menu Screen
The main menu screen is accessed from the Monitoring Screen by pressing the Soft Input Key under the Menu Screen Entry icon. The main menu screen displays the icons and descriptions of available sub menus listed below. The icons will scroll horizontally using the Soft Input Keys. The active selection is always in the center of the screen and appears larger than other inactive selections. The sub menus are selected by pressing the right most Soft Input Key under the "Enter Arrow" icon.
Service Menu
The “Service Menu” is composed of several sub menus which allow the user to access valuable information about the machine. These sub menus are described below:
Diagnostics Sub Menu
The screens within this sub menu allow the user to view active (currently occurring) or logged (having occurred; may be active or no longer active) machine condition warnings.
Diagnostics & Events
Diagnostic Codes indicate that a sensor or hardware component is currently faulted (Active Diagnostic), or has faulted previously (Logged Diagnostic) and machine functionality may be impacted.
Event Codes indicate that a sensor is detecting (Active Event), or has previously detected (Logged Event) a condition that could result in machine damage if not corrected as soon as possible.

Nige

Yes. The Engine Emission System light. And also the number 12 indicator is always on red--which is Oil pressure and Coolant temperature-- I should point out that when this came on it would run fine. I didn't run it much, just a little very light work.
And I think we may have come across something very relevant to the problem in the way you operate the machine. Emissions-controlled engines like to have the snot run out of them, not pottered around at low throttle settings.....

Jeffrey Bandel

And I think we may have come across something very relevant to the problem in the way you operate the machine. Emissions-controlled engines like to have the snot run out of them, not pottered around at low throttle settings.....
I ran this machine very hard (over 30 hours) while the emission light was on. When I got the red light about the oil pressure I stopped using it--I probably put 20 minutes of light work on it after the red light came on.

Jeffrey Bandel

To access menus, follow the instructions below. They are in the Operator Manual - I take it you don't have one..?

Menu Screen
The main menu screen is accessed from the Monitoring Screen by pressing the Soft Input Key under the Menu Screen Entry icon. The main menu screen displays the icons and descriptions of available sub menus listed below. The icons will scroll horizontally using the Soft Input Keys. The active selection is always in the center of the screen and appears larger than other inactive selections. The sub menus are selected by pressing the right most Soft Input Key under the "Enter Arrow" icon.
Service Menu
The “Service Menu” is composed of several sub menus which allow the user to access valuable information about the machine. These sub menus are described below:
Diagnostics Sub Menu
The screens within this sub menu allow the user to view active (currently occurring) or logged (having occurred; may be active or no longer active) machine condition warnings.
Diagnostics & Events
Diagnostic Codes indicate that a sensor or hardware component is currently faulted (Active Diagnostic), or has faulted previously (Logged Diagnostic) and machine functionality may be impacted.
Event Codes indicate that a sensor is detecting (Active Event), or has previously detected (Logged Event) a condition that could result in machine damage if not corrected as soon as possible.

I have one. I went through it 4 times and cannot find this anywhere. What page did this come from?

Nige

Apologies. Your post #5 above above gave the impression that the machine had only ever been run very lightly, not that you had changed the way you operate it recently when it started throwing fault lights.

I'm reading it online in the Cat system. If your manual is a paper version does it have a Cat Reference Number on either the front or the back cover..?
It will be in format SEBU1234 ........

Nige

What you have is the original version of the manual, change level -00 if you will.
The date you see is the last time it was updated, not the date it was printed, so it's quite normal for the manual to have a date on it earlier than the manufacturing date of the machine simply because the books have to be available on the production line to go in each machine as it leaves.
I don't know who told you that your machine was a 2016 because it was actually built on 6th March 2014. There is of course the possibility that it may have sat in dealer stock and not been sold until 2016 though.
I'd suggest an updated manual might be a good investment. Go to - https://catpublications.com/
Click on "Continue as Guest". Type SEBU9084 and hit Search. You should see this ......... pricier than most at $104 for a pdf download or $124 if you want a paper version.
upload_2019-7-27_5-29-51.png

Nige

You have my sympathy, but I can only give you the information I have.
As the manual you have is dated June 2013 and it was installed in a machine that went down the production line in early-March 2014 it was probably the latest update that was in print when the machine was actually built. Take note of what I posted above, your machine is not 2016 as you thought, it is 2014.
On this particular product line (SSL, CTL, MTL) things move along at a pretty fast clip, so it doesn't entirely surprise me that the manual has been subject to a significant number of revisions since it was first published in 2013.

Last edited: