• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 299D - Engine Fuel Leakage 1 - Error Code 1239-1

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
Yessir had the injectors taken out and tested after cleaning the rest of the fuel system. They were full of gunk and rust from bad fuel over the years. Sent them off to have them cleaned and rebuilt. That solved the fuel issues.

Glad you were able to get that resolved. Also good to know that can throw the error code too. The error code leads you to believe it would be before the fuel rail.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
Yessir had the injectors taken out and tested after cleaning the rest of the fuel system. They were full of gunk and rust from bad fuel over the years. Sent them off to have them cleaned and rebuilt. That solved the fuel issues.
I'm just curious, did you also take at the fuel rail and high pressure pump? What does something like this cost if you don't mind me asking?

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
It is starting to throw codes again! Ugh. So I am not sure if that tube may be clogging up again or if something else further down is causing issues.

indirocz28

I'm just curious, did you also take at the fuel rail and high pressure pump? What does something like this cost if you don't mind me asking?
Well, the shop stuffed me with a $14,000 repair bill. Once I got there to meet with the service manager, spent about 2 hours with him and calling the company president on their BS, I had about 85% of that bill reduced. They had just run time on the clock and didn’t really do anything.

I believe the quote was about $5,000 parts and labor for the HP pump, which we didn’t need, and I think close to $3,000 parts and labor for the fuel rail, which I didn’t need. They did say it was best and most economical to buy a whole rail with sensors included (for that particular machine) vs the cost of the sensors and pop off valve separately.

I ended up paying them for a new throttle body, some diag and labor for that and the injectors, and putting on the new fuel water separator and hand pump assembly.

I did all the leg work to get the injectors rebuilt at a third party shop, and paid for the rebuild shop out of my own pocket, which was about $16-$1700 then if I remember correctly.

The rebuilt injectors seemed to fix the problem, without replacing the HP pump or the rail.

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
Well the problem has returned!

This time, I tried changing the fuel pump, fuel filters, and even blew into the fuel line to make sure it is clear. Watching the fuel pre filter, it appears I have good fuel flow.

I can run the engine at full throttle and drive around a little without issue.
The problem seems to appear when the engine bogs down or is loaded up.

So I am wondering if this can be caused by a clogged injector? I noticed that when the engine first starts up it runs a little rough at idle. Throttling up seems to smooth the engine out and after a while it idles fine.

I did notice the engine main fuel filter that I just replaced about an hour of run time ago had a small film of stuff on it. I’m wondering if this is algae working its way into the system?

Thanks for the help!

RDeSmet

I just started having this issue on my 272d SN b5w00526 today, the error seemed to only pop up when I idled down from full throttle. Although the last time it popped up on me I was roading the machine back from a field and when I turned a corner the error came up. I checked the clamps and did find one that had worked loose, but the error still keeps coming back. I was able to finish what I needed to do today. Not sure if it would keep running at full throttle as I was only running full while loading bales onto a truck for 15-20 minutes then would throttle down waiting for the next truck and that is when the error would pop up, a restart and I was good to go again, until I throttled down. I also attached a picture of the fuel filter, and was wondering if this should be fuller, and it looks like there might be a small bit of debris on it. Cat Filter.jpg

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
This issue still continues! Just when I think the issue is gone, it comes back!

I emptied the fuel tank, pressure washed it, and let it dry for a week with forced air.

I then replaced the pump again with a brand new one and it worked for a day, then the issue came back again. I am starting to wonder if maybe this is the sensor on the fuel rail? Maybe a clogged injector?

I also tried running seafoam through the engine and it worked for a while, but the issue keeps coming back. If I keep the RPMs below 1900 it does not show the error. Only seems to happen at high RPM or when I load the motor up.

hvguy

What does the sight glass on the pre filter going to the lift pump look like? Also I had a blockage on the inlet coming from the tank. I would blow the fuel back into the tank, and it would be cleared for usually at least a year, then occasionally it would just plug back up, I would blow it out and knock on wood. It's been about 2 years and I haven't had an issue, but nine times out of 10. It's that pre-filter being clogged up

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
What does the sight glass on the pre filter going to the lift pump look like? Also I had a blockage on the inlet coming from the tank. I would blow the fuel back into the tank, and it would be cleared for usually at least a year, then occasionally it would just plug back up, I would blow it out and knock on wood. It's been about 2 years and I haven't had an issue, but nine times out of 10. It's that pre-filter being clogged up

Ya, that's what started this problem! I did have contaminated fuel. I would blow it back and it would work for a while. When I washed the tank, I pulled the feed tube as well and it was clear. When it went back together I put a new filter on it with a new pump. The pre filter looks good and clean now.

hvguy

So the pre filter is clean. Did you pull the suction line from the tank and see if it's flowing? I had an issue on my old 277b (Perkins) where the pickup tube was rusted and when the fuel get too low, it starts picking up air.

hvguy

Oh, so make sure fuel is being pumped out of the lift pump, and then just go from there, could be something as simple as the primary fuel filter is clogged lol

Makers Acres

Occupation
Imagineer
I changed the primary element too and blew out all the line on to the high pressure pump. I bought a fuel pressure gauge and I am going to install that so I can see where the drop is. I just need some free time to dive into it!