• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 299C Hydraulic leak - need service manual

Cat299C

Occupation
Rancher
I have a Cat 299C (JSP prefix) that is leaking hydraulic fluid (appears to be coming from the far end of the hose that connects to the bottom of the hydraulic tank under the cab). Any suggestions where to buy a service manual? My local dealer wants over $800 (ouch!)
Appreciate any guidance...

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Look in the usual places for Cat Publication KENR8825. The list price is $823 for a paper version or $423 for a CD containing the same information.

I do have a question though. Wouldn't a Parts Manual be better if you want to identify the P/N of the hose that is leaking.?
The Service manual does NOT contain parts listings. You need a Parts Manual (Pub ref SEBP5069) for that. It's $136 in paper form and $115 on CD.

Cat299C

Occupation
Rancher
Thanks Nige! I suppose I probably need both. Planning to visit the local Cat dealer to see if they can identify the part that the hose connects to. I plan to clean the area that is leaking to get a better grasp of exactly where the leak is coming from. Can you tell me where I can get both the documents (Service Manual and Parts Manual in CD format) for the prices listed above? Is Service Manual Pro considered a reputable source? Appreciate the help!

Cat299C

Occupation
Rancher
Thank you heymccall! I presume that diagram is from the parts manual that Nige made reference to. Will take this with me when I get back to the machine. Planning to degrease the area with Simple Green so I can better see what I am dealing with. At $90/gal for Hydo 10, can't afford to let it just keep leaking!

Nige

Thanks Nige! I suppose I probably need both. Planning to visit the local Cat dealer to see if they can identify the part that the hose connects to. I plan to clean the area that is leaking to get a better grasp of exactly where the leak is coming from. Can you tell me where I can get both the documents (Service Manual and Parts Manual in CD format) for the prices listed above? Is Service Manual Pro considered a reputable source? Appreciate the help!
Service Manual Pro are genuine Cat manuals. Parts Manuals can also be purchased from Cat Publications, who also have an option to directly download a pdf version of SEBF5069 - you can have it in 5 minutes.

https://catpublications.com/ - just type SEBP5069 in the Search box.

Cat299C

Occupation
Rancher
Thank you for the link / info above. Successfully downloaded the Parts Manual from catpublications.com. They don't list the Service Manual. Will tackle the Service Manual tomorrow. Looking at Service Manual Pro's website, looks like I can get a download if I call them. I don't have a computer with a CD reader anymore:)

Nige

Cat don't do Service Manuals online and I have no idea why.
I suggest that you call SMP regarding a download of the Service Manual and let us all know how it goes. If pdf versions of the Service Manual are available for download it will be another potential option going forward.

Cat299C

Occupation
Rancher
Called SMP and ordered the Service Manual on CD. They sent me a pdf download link so I could access the files while waiting for the CD to arrive. With the help of this forum, I was able to determine my hydraulic leak was coming from a hose clamp that needed to be tightened just a bit. Ran the machine for 1.5 hours yesterday with no evidence of leaking.

673moto

Occupation
Slacker
Look in the usual places for Cat Publication KENR8825. The list price is $823 for a paper version or $423 for a CD containing the same information.

I was quoted $950 plus tax here in Sacramento for a service manual...they better throw in a sticker or keychain so I don’t feel swindled!!