• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 289D skid steer Engine speed sensor High 190-0

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Is it possible for this engine to have jumped timing? I wouldn’t think so….
Neither would I but anything is possible I guess, and I'm going to let the C3.8 engine experts take this one up from here.

I seem to recall another thread not so long ago regarding a C3.8 where timing (more specifically aligning of timing marks) was an issue. Here's what I can find right quick. Just so you know the 2nd illustration on the first page (below) those marks are under a cover on the flywheel housing, not at the front of the engine.

upload_2022-9-27_19-2-43.png

Attachments

• Timing.pdf
    195.6 KB · Views: 6

Jakob Bailey

Yea I have the instructions for timing “finding cylinder #4 TDC” I put the flywheel to its correct position and pump gear-idler gear marks would never line up. I spun another 180* and marks still wouldn’t line up. In fact I spun this engine a million times again always landing on the “1 TC “ mark and the gear marks never lined up…

Jakob Bailey

I just don’t see how it’s possible on this timing setup for it to jump teeth…?
Thanks for your help Nige. Do you know the usernames of the CAT 3.8L guys so I can PM them?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I spun another 180* and marks still wouldn’t line up.
Do you actually mean 180* or a full revolution of the crank (360*).?

I know enough to say that despite the C3.8 being a common rail engine the HP fuel pump has to be timed correctly to the crank. The reason why is somewhere in the thread linked below.

Here is a thread with a similar issue to yours. Hopefully it might give you a few ideas/suggestions including those who chimed in trying to help. I don't recall the OP having the resources that you do though.
https://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/threads/cat-299d2-cranks-wont-start.94414/

Last edited: