1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cat 289D, No AC

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by bigbob, Apr 28, 2017.

1. bigbob

bigbob Well-Known Member

Found a leak in one of the hoses to the rear door condenser and ordered one from cat. Went over and got it, but it was too long by 2 or 3 inches. I called cat back and they checked the build sheet and they made another one. PSSR dropped it off and when he called me he thought it might be wrong due to the build sheet having the wrong information. Again, too long! I made a second trip back to cat and I brought the original hose and one of the long ones. They cut the long one down to match the original hose. Brought that home, installed it, evacuated the AC system and recharged with 1 KG of R 134A. It blows nice and cold now. I also did the 305C CR system with a fresh evacuation and recharge. Thanks for all the help and suggestions!

2. PavingGuy

PavingGuy New Member

bigbob.... how did you access the charge port for the AC?

3. ianjoub

ianjoub Senior Member

How did you change pressure switches? If the system had an R134a in it, you would have lost it when unscrewing the switches. That should have told you that you have a charge problem.

I would add 1/2 the system capacity of new oil. If you put in too much, you will have jumping/bouncing needles on your gauges. Add some UV dye to the oil before putting it in the system. It will help you next time you have a leak.

4. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

Every r134a system, that I've serviced pressure switches on, has the switches threaded over Schrader valves, unless the switch is on the compressor body.
    As for the charge ports, my 248 has then under cab, on the lines going to the HVAC box.