1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

CAT 289C Battery and Exclamation Mark Warning indicator

Discussion in 'Compact Track/Multi Terrain Loaders' started by ReligiouslyCAT, Nov 7, 2014.

1. ReligiouslyCAT

ReligiouslyCAT Active Member

Hello Folks,

The Battery and Exclamation Mark Warning indicator goes on whenever I turn on the front work lights and back work lights, they dont go on otherwise just turn of the throttle governor to 90% and in about 40 seconds it goes away.

Is there anything bad about that?

And what is kind of worrisome is that if I dont turn up the throttle to high idle, the Exclamation Mark Warning indicator will start flashing after a little bit [lvl 2, or lvl 3] (again only when I turn on the front work lights and back work lights right when I started up).

Is it just the lights sucking up the battery or is it something else?

Now, here is the troubling thing, the alarm does not sound when the key is turned to battery mode and when everything cycles through, the alarm crackles a tiny bit, but rarely does a complete beep like it is supposed too.
    And I cannot tell if the flashing indicator is level 2 or level 3. Is this something I should lose sleep over and get it fixed ASAP? Or should I just let it blow over

I think I might be a little paranoid about the whole thing entirely.

But any comment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Does this happen only when you first start it up, or every time you turn on the lights? If it's only when you first start it up I'd guess your belt is a tad loose. If it does this at anything above idle when it's warmed up, then I'd put a meter on it and see what the voltage is under load (lights on).

3. ReligiouslyCAT

Hello Delmer, thank you for the reply.

It happens only when I start it up with both sets of lights in the on position. I will check the belts (a pain with the cover and everything) I will double check they are in shape. Also, whenever I start it up for the first time in a day sometimes there is a whining sound, its pretty loud you can hear it in the cab, and outside even more extensively, it only lasts about 15-30 seconds, and the higher the idler is the shorter it lasts.

Anything wrong about that?

Thanks.

4. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Supposedly rubber expands when cold and shrinks when hot, so belts get loose when it's cold. At least that's what I've always heard.

It's extremely common for vehicles to squeal with a slightly loose belt on startup in cold weather, and be fine otherwise. A slightly loose belt, cold temp causing looser belt, longer crank-deader battery-greater amp draw on alternator. If it was me, I'd remember to shut the lights off before shutting the machine off and idle it up to the middle for a quick warmup. But a tighter or newer belt will take care of it, almost guaranteed.

5. ReligiouslyCAT

Hello Delmer,

Thank you so much for your help Sir.

Also, do you think the alarm is crucial to replace?

Thanks Alot.

6. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

I don't think the alarm is crucial to replace, but that's your monkey.

If you do want it to work, and don't like the price from Cat, I'd bet you could find a 12v alarm on fleabay, or radioshack, if you don't mind a little cobbling.

7. Nige

Nige Senior Member

The squeal that you describe on startup sounds very much like the belt slipping. The fact it happens at all indicates a problem.
    I think if you go to tension it you'll find it slack and or worn out. Tension or replace as required. Alternator belts on these small machines generally run at what on the face of it appears to be a pretty unbelievable tension. Anything less than that and they will slip.

8. ReligiouslyCAT

Hello Delmer and Nige,

Thank you so much for your replys, I will check the belts later today.

Thank you again Sirs.

Thanks.