• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 287C Will not move

4020_JohnDeere

I have a CAT 287C (MAS01577) it has several codes (all codes listed in attachment) present for both side speed sensors and an event code E568-2. This all happened after the left side track kicked off of the front roller towards the machine. I’ve inspected the speed sensor harnesses for both sides already. No chaffing or any damage to the sensors or their wiring is present. 8.13 volts are present at both sensors on pin 1. No voltage or ground signal present on pin 2 for either side. The machine will also only start if you turn the key on fast. If you turn it one click and wait a second (I’m assuming it runs an on board diagnostic check during this period) it will not start. If you start it immediately, the machine starts and the park/hydraulic release button turn off all lights but the parking brake and all bucket functions work correctly. Was advised that the speed sensors and harnesses were a problem area (due to being damaged, etc.) so I already replaced the left side sensor. Nothing changed. Any and all help is appreciated!

Attachments

• 80A2D25A-7467-4106-9125-B68BF919E226.png
    80A2D25A-7467-4106-9125-B68BF919E226.png
    9.3 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:

4020_JohnDeere

Found a previous post of yours late last night detailing the service modes and how to access all of them. Also which are active and history codes and events. Just got a chance to go back out and do some testing on the machine. Found that in service mode 6 that the left joystick x axis is displaying -1.5% at its rest position. Found that if I gently applied pressure to the left on the joystick that it read 0%. Thinking that was preventing it from starting and moving due to not being in “neutral”. I gently held the joystick over and the machine started right up. I pressed the park unlock button and it released as well. I started driving the machine back to the house and the yellow exclamation started flashing and an audible warning chime was going off. The only active code now is 2685-8 for the left drive motor sensor 1 abnormal signal. All other fault codes and events are history codes/events. Battery codes were probably caused by dead battery this past winter. It is currently charging 14.1 volts at the battery and the advanced display reflects the same voltage. Not sure if the joystick (calibration/replacement) is causing this issue or the new aftermarket LH drive motor speed sensor I put in is causing the fault code. A diagnostic test procedure for this code would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Here is the procedure for troubleshooting the 2685-8 code. Note that the machine has to be moved a certain distance for the ECM to determine the sensor signal is genuine before the Code will change from Active to Logged.

TBH I would personally suggest that you refit the (OEM I assume) LH sensor, run the machine and see what happens.

Regarding the joystick x-axis sensor I think that a recalbration (neutral position reset) is possible using Cat ET. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Attachments

• CID2685 FMI08.pdf
    101.5 KB · Views: 4

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Low system voltage logged events on their own are not worth worrying about, the trigger points for these events are set too high IMO.

But when I see them ALONG with a bunch of other codes like yours... low voltage is usually the CAUSE of these codes..

First thing I'd be doing is load testing the battery. Need 12.6 volts or close to it on your battery engine not running, 14.2 volts on your battery while engine running. Less than .2 volts voltage drop (VD) on every battery & starter cable. How's your fan belt, slipping?

Back in their day these machines had a service letter out for cable attached to the B+ terminal on the starter motor. I'd have a good look at this cable and make sure it's not rubbing on anything and doing crazy things like shorting out on the oil pan, etc. Also check it's VD. It's in a horrible spot... you may need to remove alternator and raise cab to look at it properly.

Lastly, if all else fails, the first code I'd be troubleshooting is the 1251-4 Alternator R Terminal voltage above normal... that's my gut feeling.

You're symptom of starting only when you turn the key fast reeks of an ECM failure to me, but there's about 50 checks to do before we go that far.

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
Regarding the joystick x-axis sensor I think that a recalbration (neutral position reset) is possible using Cat ET. Maybe someone else can confirm that.

Was at a 279C today, it definitely has the provision for joystick calibration in there.

...along with a bunch of low voltage logged events and joystick/speed sensor logged codes just like yours. She runs fine for now.

After reading your post #3 again I see the need to do the calibration. I’d do it but rule out any common issues (like voltage) before replacing a joystick.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Back in their day these machines had a service letter out for cable attached to the B+ terminal on the starter motor. I'd have a good look at this cable and make sure it's not rubbing on anything and doing crazy things like shorting out on the oil pan, etc. Also check it's VD. It's in a horrible spot... you may need to remove alternator and raise cab to look at it properly.
Attached is the Service Magazine announcing the update that was put into production on 287C machines with S/N MAS01668-onwards.

Attachments

• SEPD0977.pdf
    229.3 KB · Views: 14