• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 287b Parking brake issue

DDWilliams

Hello and thanks in advance for any answers.

I have a CAT 287b, it will run normally then the park brake will suddenly engage on both sides and not disengage. The park brake light does not come on and everything else including all hydraulics will function normally. I have replaced the park brake solenoid and coil but still have the same problem. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I noticed a couple old threads here but the fix was not reported. Thanks

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
I would put a test light across the park brake solenoid and place in the cab and monitor
if the test light stays on when the problem occurs it is a hydraulic problem
if it goes out it is electrical.
on this model the ECM does not monitor the park brake solenoid circuit.So if there is a fault everything else will still work

DDWilliams

I would put a test light across the park brake solenoid and place in the cab and monitor
if the test light stays on when the problem occurs it is a hydraulic problem
if it goes out it is electrical.
on this model the ECM does not monitor the park brake solenoid circuit.So if there is a fault everything else will still work
Thanks for your reply Mark, I will try this to narrow down the issue.

DDWilliams

Hello and thanks in advance for any answers. I have re-posted this in the correct forum

I have a CAT 287b, it will run normally then the park brake will suddenly engage on both sides and not disengage. The park brake light does not come on and everything else including all hydraulics will function normally. I have replaced the park brake solenoid and coil but still have the same problem. Has anyone had this issue and what was the fix? I noticed a couple old threads here but the fix was not reported. Thanks