1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 287B back up alarm switch

Discussion in 'Skid Steers' started by Patrick R, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:20 AM.

1. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    Before you replace it try a jumper wire between the two contacts in harness. Then turn key on and get beeper going. Wiggle all the wires and see if alarm is constant. Or drive it to really be sure. Good idea to eliminate any wire problems.

kshansen likes this.
  2. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Agree! I always like to PROVE something is bad before replacing it. It sure suck to spend $125 on a switch and the same amount on labor only to find the problem was a loose connection back at the back-up alarm.

And don't toss that old switch till you do test it. Being it works off restively low pressures I'd try hooking it up to an adjustable air regulator, say like one used for a paint gun and run it through the on off cycle several times while tapping on it with a small hammer.

And if in fact it is bad don't toss it till you cut off the Deutch connector and put it in your electrical parts box. Never can tell when that one will come in handy!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:41 PM
  3. Nige

Nige Senior Member

As my old man always used to say - "If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined" ...........