• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

CAT 287B anyone replaced bearings in boogies

Drinkindiesel

Hello.. my 287b needs new bearings in 8 boogies.
Found the bearings at track loader parts pretty cheap..
Just wondering how tough the bearings are to remove and reinstall..I have a press and sure I will need it. .
Thanks for any input...

Tags

I did mine years ago, I did not have a press and I don't think you need one. The worst part was removing the seals, took a long time to do them but it was the middle of winter and I had the time. I think what you may find is that if the bearings are wiped out it may have ruined the axel or the housing so you may be better off buying complete units if you need to get her going quick.

Drinkindiesel

When I bought the unit at at auction it needed all boogies replaced.,,I bought two new assembly's. At $350 a piece. Cause the axle's were trash. I cleaned the remaining boogies and ran for a short time but now I know if I keep running it will destroy the axles. Thanks for the reply. How do feel about replacing the idle wheels with the bair Aluminum wheels compared the the original rubber compound wheel's. Double the price but concerned if it will destroy the new track rather than the wheel don't need to waste money on shiny stuff.. Lol..

Tags

I really can't say how the Bair stuff is since I never used it. I sold my machine with 2200 hrs with the original tracks and most of the original boggie and idler wheels. This is pretty rare from what I hear but I was only operator to run the machine since it was new, made a huge difference in operating cost and maintainance. The only reason I did the seals was because they were leaking, the bearings an axels were fine.

Occupation
Driver
The seal puller from track loader makes it easy removing seals.