• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 277c electrical problem

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Ok SN is jwf00391
My problem is it will not crank after it gets hot ..no power to the solenoid on starter when key is on
Brand new cat starter and same problem noway I have 2 bad starters,,,and Voltage is good at battery .Swapped relays with Air Conditioner and same part number and same problem ..no start no clicking nothing .....
I see in wiring diagram it has a Neutral safety switch but I cant find it
The key switch feels rough to turn , haven't pulled it out to check yet
As I looked at diagram its
Key switch
neutral safety
arm rest sensor ...Checked good
windshield door sensor ...checked good
seat sensor ...checked good
ecm....Don't think ecm is bad
relay ...swapped
solenoid new
and starter new
Have I missed something ?

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Hi truecountry
if the ECM see's any kind of signal from the engine speed sensor or from the alternator R terminal it will disable starting. disconnect the speed sensor from harness and disconnect the R terminal wire from the alternator and try
how did you check your lock out sensors eg seat, door etc. did you also check the wiring back to the ECM for these sensors
the ECM performs the function of the neutral start relay for C series machines
Mark

truecountry

Occupation
Shop Manager and Tech
Its been a hair pulling machine ..pulled ess and r terminal machine cranked and ran ...ordered ess put it on and nothing ..
Changed out key switch because I had one in parts room it cranked 7 times then nothing ...looking at diagram I see cold start relay is one shared wire with starter relay so I changed relay ...it runssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ...but why did it run with sensor and alt wire r disconnected then key switch swap ....this machine is a 9th wonder...3 days runs and cranks fine lol damn I'm bald