• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 277B Aux hydraulic does not work

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
Just checked pin 2 and 3 on duty cycle for anything and with the key on and with engine running I get 3.6v and that's it. I move the thumb wheel both ways and I do not a change if that's what I have to do.
are you using the duty cycle /percentage setting on multimeter?
if you are, check with the signal wire removed from connector and recheck. The percentage should change, if not sounds like a possible faulty module in joystick
Mark

Iggys6

Not sure I am using this setting. I have the same meter. If it is a Faulty module in the joystick then you think it's the thumb wheel not working? 115-01b-600x402.jpg

Iggys6

Also if I am doing it right with the meter, please correct me if I'm wrong but anyways, if I remove the signal wire #3 correct? How do check it after the signal wire is removed. Thanks

Mark250

Occupation
Not sure I am using this setting. I have the same meter. If it is a Faulty module in the joystick then you think it's the thumb wheel not working? View attachment 160344
this meter doesn't have the duty cycle function
hook a meter that is capable of duty cycle measurement to pin 2 and the signal wire from the thumb wheel that is disconnected .this is just to eliminate any external influence on your reading
mark

Iggys6

Hi
I don't think I have access to a meter with that function I'll check anyway later this morning. Are you leaning more toward the thumb wheel? If I cannot come up with one is there another test I can do? Thanks

Iggys6

Is there any way that I can possibly cross a few wires using a toggle switch to by pass the thumb wheel to see if that is the problem. I am about to just buy a new joystick because I do not have a meter thay can do the duty cycle. Let me know thank you

Mark250

Occupation
Is there any way that I can possibly cross a few wires using a toggle switch to by pass the thumb wheel to see if that is the problem. I am about to just buy a new joystick because I do not have a meter thay can do the duty cycle. Let me know thank you
the output signal from the thumb wheel is very small and difficult to measure any other way
the cost of a joystick is very expensive and you need to be very sure of your testing procedure
Mark

Iggys6

Ok what is your recommendation? Try to get a duty cycle meter and check pin 2 and 3 with the connector disconnected. Are you leaning more toward thinking it's the thumb wheel? Thanks

Iggys6

Also when I check it do I move the thumb wheel up and down? Thanks

Iggys6

I bought a duty cycle meter from the snap on guy today because I knew I would probably need it in the future anyway haha

Iggys6

Connector is disconnected and I am testing pin 2 and 3 on duty cycle mode. I am moving the thumb wheel up and down and do not get anything. Am I doing it right? Thanks!20161013_175434.jpg 20161013_175439.jpg

Iggys6

Sorry for blowing this thread up but I reread what you said. So I keep everything connected I just disconnect #3 from the connector and I put one lead on #3 and then I put one lead on #2 that is connected to the system and I turn the key on. I see 045.0 and I move the thumb wheel up and down and do not get a change. Thanks 20161013_183018.jpg20161013_183023.jpg

Iggys6

I know but I pressed hz/duty button until I saw the % symbol and then I got that reading. What setting should I put It on and also the reading should be. I'm guessing it should change as I move the thumb wheel correct? Thanks

Iggys6

I'm not sure what setting to put it in but I put it on the voltage setting and got the same reading. Thanks

Mark250

Occupation
I'm not sure what setting to put it in but I put it on the voltage setting and got the same reading. Thanks
this is one of my meters and it is set on duty cycle and the symbol in top right hand corner is the percentage sign(%)
multimeter screen shot.png

lantraxco

Weird meter, but yeah that looks like duty cycle and 45% may well be neutral on that machine, or close enough to be in the deadband?

Mark250

Occupation
Hi,my apologies if I misread the photo but it looked like it was the hz symbol.
if that's the case it looks like your joystick thumb wheel is faulty.(you did check the signal wire coming from the joystick right)
this is assuming that it is the original joystick and the ECM is configured to support that joystick,

Iggys6

Hi,my apologies if I misread the photo but it looked like it was the hz symbol.
if that's the case it looks like your joystick thumb wheel is faulty.(you did check the signal wire coming from the joystick right)
this is assuming that it is the original joystick and the ECM is configured to support that joystick,

Yes I unplugged the #3 pin and then i left the connector plugged in. I then turned the key to the on position and I put the positive lead on #2 and then I put the negative lead on #3 wire that is disconnected and then got that reading. So you think of should buy a joystick today? Thanks

Iggys6

Ok I will let you guys know. I desperately need the grapple working for this weekend so I overnighted the part $500!! Well at least if it works then we will all be good. If not looks like I have a new joystick :beatsme