• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat 277 main case drain filter???

AdamsExcavating

Just had a drive motor Repaired on our '01 277 mtl and was told to change out the main case drain filter (and hydraulic oil) due to contamination from the faulty hydraulic drive motor. This is said to be different from the hydraulic spin on cartridge filter. does anyone know what is being mentioned and where I can find it? Thanks.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I've never seen a case drain filter on one either just the main spin on.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
There is a screen inside the tank. I would drain the tank, pressure wash the tank, and replace the screen. This is till not a 100% clean out. You will still have oil in your lines and cylinders.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There is a screen inside the tank. I would drain the tank, pressure wash the tank, and replace the screen. This is till not a 100% clean out. You will still have oil in your lines and cylinders.
Looking at the Parts Manual and the Hydraulic Schematic that was all I could see as well. Having double-checked for your particular Serial Number I can now confirm that.

As Mobiltech says you're going to have to drain and pressure wash the tank and clean the screen (#7 in the illustration below) while you're at it, then try to get as much oil as possible out of the cylinder and travel motor circuits. You'll need plenty of buckets and cleaning materials, this could get messy in a real hurry........

277 Hyd Tank.jpg